Trio of Angels in a 55G

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I currently have a male and female angel in my 55G, they spawned a couple times 2-3 years ago now, and have not since. They sometimes will act like they are going to, I see them cleaning a leaf etc, but nothing happens.

However, the male is constantly bullying the female, to the point that she looks a mess. When the lights are off, she is swimming about, and she eats fine, but for the most part hides behind some plants from the male.

Now, the times that they spawned, they were in the same tank, with another male angel. When they originally spawned I moved them to a 29G, with nothing else in there. The male was still aggressive in there, so I moved the female back to the 55G with the other male. Sadly she ended up taking his eye out, and he died. So, I moved the other male into the 55G (if you are following, the original pair are now back in the 55G). Which is where I am now, with the male bullying the female.

Currently in my 29G I have a different angel, which even though it is smaller than the other 2 (its a younger fish) I think it is a male. The reason I think this is that I can see its ovipositor, and it is pointy, matching the one that I know is a male.

I am debating moving the male from the 29G into the 55G with the pair. When I had the trio in there originally, there was less aggression than I see now with just the pair. Is this worth a shot to keep 3 angels in the same tank? I will be keeping the 29G so I can move him back if I need to do so.

Along with the 3 angels, there are some tetras (15) a BN pleco and 5 dojo loaches (which are likely to be moved out at some point, bought them in the belief they were kuhli loaches).

I am leaning towards giving it a try, especially knowing I can separate them if needed, just looking for some feedback.

Thanks.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
if you put them in the same tank...just be prepared to move fish around

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
if you put them in the same tank...just be prepared to move fish around
That's why I plan to keep the 29G up and running, I will wait for the weekend to move them around, that way I can watch them throughout the day.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Well, that did not work. Moved the angel over last night, turned off the lights and kept an eye on him. Looked to be OK, but he spent most of the night hiding. Same thing this morning, and he looks as though he has a couple marks on his side.

Pretty certain its from the big male, and not the female, as the smaller male was staying in the same hiding spot as the female. All the while the big male is quite happy ruling the rest of the tank. Watched him some more throughout the day, but the small male looked too stressed out to leave him in there, so moved him back to the 29G.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store