Angelfish eggs keep turning white

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Hi everybody! I've gotten so much good help here and now unfortunately I need more...

So, I had a couple pair of angels laying eggs in the planted community tank and they were always good viable eggs. Only a few would turn white and the rest would hatch to wigglers but the angels would terrorize all the other fish so I set up a 55gal with a divider and moved the angels.
Since moving them every time they lay, the eggs always start turning white about 24 hours later then fungus grows if I don't remove the white ones.

Once I removed some eggs a dipped them in MBlue and a few hatched. If I leave them in the tank and pick off the white ones as they turn (because the parents don't) no fungus grows but the others still turn white little by little.
If I leave them alone all the eggs turn white and fungus.
I tried treating the entire tank with MB added to 3ppm, I let that set for about 5 days then did a 25% WC and returned the carbon. The instructions on the bottle weren't very good and didn't say on how long to leave it or anything... No luck! The eggs still turn white.
I even tried putting in some live plants to see if that will help, again no luck.
Water parameters are all good.

Any advice???

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the eggs sound like they are not fertilized..

how long ago did you move the angels?
possibly stress related..give them time

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
the eggs sound like they are not fertilized..

how long ago did you move the angels?
possibly stress related..give them time
That's what I thought too at first but they've been in the new tank for about 2 months now... And if the eggs weren't fertilized wouldn't they be turning white before 24 hrs and all roughly at the same time or at least in a uniform order in the order they were laid?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
not always.. btw if you add meth blue you should only do so with the eggs removed from the tank ..in a holding/hatchout tank

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Is it possible that the both pair of parents or the tank itself has a fungus of some sort?
I looked this morning and some of the eggs have hatched into wigglers. About 7% of the entire clutch...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I would suspect that the problem may be just timing by the pair. I have 1 pair that go thru phases like this..good hatches then a bunch of bad ones or not so good ones..
are you feeding the pair to help condition them?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
How much flow is in the 55 as I have had problems with higher flow also is there any chance the water in the 55 is considerably harder because that can have an effect. I might try pulling the eggs and doseing about 5 drops of meth blue per gallon and see how things turn out.

Fractalis

Heavy Weapons Guy
Mar 3, 2011
have you watched them spawn to be sure you have both genders you may have 2 females

if you do have a pair you can let them do it on their time

(sheesh you didnt have kids immediately after getting married either did you?)

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
I would suspect that the problem may be just timing by the pair. I have 1 pair that go thru phases like this..good hatches then a bunch of bad ones or not so good ones..
are you feeding the pair to help condition them?
I hope this is the case... I'm not sure what you mean by feeding to condition them?.. I feed them mostly flake food with occasional blood worms and sometimes a veggie like cucumber, spinach or sea weed.

How much flow is in the 55 as I have had problems with higher flow also is there any chance the water in the 55 is considerably harder because that can have an effect. I might try pulling the eggs and dosing about 5 drops of meth blue per gallon and see how things turn out.
Since the tank has a divider in the middle to separate the 2 breeding pair I was afraid the water on one side might not get filtered well enough so I put a filter on each side. I considered flow might be a problem so once when I say them laying I shut off the filters, it still didn't work...

have you watched them spawn to be sure you have both genders you may have 2 females

if you do have a pair you can let them do it on their time

(sheesh you didnt have kids immediately after getting married either did you?)
Yes I am sure that I have 2 sets of pairs. As I said before, before I moved them to the new tank both pair were laying viable eggs that hatched to wigglers. It's only after moving them 2 months ago that this started.

probably a fungus.
That's what I'm afraid of too but don't know what to do about it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store