Can I add 2 angels to my setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Greetings all :)
I am wondering if I could add 2 angels to my community of 9 serpaes (rather peaceful as far as they go), 12 cardinals, 3 redeye tetras, 6 corydoras adolfoi and 2 German blue rams?
It is a 55g well planted established tank and all seem to get along fine so far. I was thinking of adding 2 female GBR's but have heard that would make for aggression, so perhaps the angels?
Thanks much for your ever insightful advice.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I would not recommend it, I've heard countless stories of how angels got beaten into the corner, ripped fins, and even death due to serpaes.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
The thing is, it is hard to know. Some serpaes are fine and peaceful, others are rather insistent fin nippers. If I were to do it, I would add more serpaes first. Then get bigger angels. I can't imagine a healthy sub-adult angel getting beat into a corner by any serpae!! LOL You should just approach it very cautiously.

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Thank you all, I do appreciate and sort of expected your responses for caution. Actually my serpaes are fully grown and have never bothered the cardinals or the GBR's, in fact they often hang out together. The only chasing I've seen is among themselves, so perhaps I could give it a try, but with bigger angels, avoiding the long finned variety. I'll think about it carefully. I also love discus and gouramis :) . . .

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
We have serpaes in with angelfish and there is not any problem.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
My serpaes are little devils and chased my angel relentlessly, nipping at his fins. I had to move the serpaes into another tank.

tara777

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
Well good friends, after much pondering and back and forth with a breeder of angels who know my whole tank setup I ended up getting 6 angels. They have been with me for nearly 3 weeks and there isw NO aggression from the serpaes at all so far. I still think I'm now somewhat overstockes, but do a 25% water change 3 times a week... anyway, so far so good. Here are some pics:DSCN0542.JPGDSCN0543.JPGThere are 2 black and 2 Koi as well. They are eating me out of house and home . . .

DSCN0542.JPG DSCN0543.JPG

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
It's been about a month since your last post; is everything still going well?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store