Is my Synodontis Cat or my Pelco eating my Neons???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
I had 12 Neons in my 29gal tank, along with some Guppies, 3 Silver Dollars, 2 platies, a 3" Pelco, and a 3" Synodontis Cat, not counting it's whiskers, (I believe it's a Synodontis...my wife got it at Walmart as a present...It's sleek/long...Silver with black "Cheetah" spots, and two very, very, long, white whiskers.) Anyway, lately I noticed that a few of my Neons are missing...Now I had these Neons since June, and the Pelco and Cat since about August. Today I was looking and I'm missing 6 Neons...No dead fish anywhere...everyone is healthy and swimming around. Even have a few Guppies babies that must had drop from a Mom.

My Cat stays inside a log decoration during the day, only comes out at night mostly. When he is out, he does what a Cat normally does...working his way through the gravel and swimming up & down the sides of my aquarium. My Pelco, just does his Pelco stuff. Never seen either one of those two chasing other fish.

The only other fish I was wondering about was my Silver Dollars, but again, never seen them chasing or nipping at any of the other fish. Not even the Guppies flowing tails.

Oh, I do have a pair of Mollies too.

My Neons are pretty good size for a common Neon, still smaller then a mature Cardinal Neon.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ghpr1957:)

Oh, yeah, about a month ago I had a small 2" Chinese Algae Eater disappear...No body ever found!

Last edited:

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
Thank you both. I found out after some research that my catfish is not a Synodontis, but a Pimelodus Pictus, which is known for eating Neons and other small fish at night.
So now I guess I'll have to find him a new home.

Ghpr1957

Ghpr1957

AC Members
Sep 28, 2011
Fairdale, KY
Bingo pictus cats r little sly devils thats forshure, my hi-fin syno wouldnt touch a neon.
Yeah, I'm kind of bummed out about it because he's really a cool looking Catfish and very lively when he comes out of his log...but I want a peaceful community tank, so I guess I'll have to find him another home. If I had room for another aquarium, I would go that route. Unfortunately, I just don't have the room right now for another good size tank.

Ghpr1957

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Yeah, I have a problem with 2 syno's in my tank that my husband refused to let go..... the smaller fish in there have all met their demise except for a full school of rummies and a few scattered cherry barbs....

I agree on the cories and the whiptail.

kenneywallace

Registered Member
Mar 1, 2012
i got a syno, it looks kinda like a placo does, but has longer barbels, 3 sets to be exact, 1 set is "feathered",

my syno doesent eat any of my small fish, (hes triple their size, and could easly fit them in his mouth)

i had 3 pictus's at one point, they ate all my zebra dainos in one night (5), they didnt seem big enough to eat them (was housing them for my sister, she had tank problims)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store