Cycling Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jimbravo9

AC Members
Dec 10, 2011
I just started cycling a new tank. Not really new but my red devil passed after many years and I haven't cycled a tank in six years. I'm starting a 55 gallon community. I had some gravel and filter media from the old tank. I have been putting five drops of pure amonia in each day for the last four days and haven't seen any amonia at all when testing. No nitrates or nitrites to speak of either.

Is it possible the media and gravel could have had enough bacteria in them or have I just not seen the amonia present because it's too early? I'm running an Emperor Bio Wheel 400 and an AC 50.

Thanks

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It's certainly possible, but you should see some nitrate accumulation. Are there live plants in the tank?

jimbravo9

AC Members
Dec 10, 2011
It's certainly possible, but you should see some nitrate accumulation. Are there live plants in the tank?
No live plants. I've never had any luck with them. I mostly have driftwood and caves and rocks. I may put some fake plants in later.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
It is also possible that you aren't adding enough ammonia. Five drops is rather arbitrary.

Like others said in order for you to assume it is being processed you need to have that final product (NO3).
I agree, probably not enough ammonia. I'd add until the ammonia tests @ 3 ppm, then check in 24 hrs. When the ammonia tests zero in 24 hrs. and nitrates have increased, then you can figure the tank is cycled.

Mark

jimbravo9

AC Members
Dec 10, 2011
It is also possible that you aren't adding enough ammonia. Five drops is rather arbitrary.

Like others said in order for you to assume it is being processed you need to have that final product (NO3).
Sorry about that. I've been adding five drops per 10 gallons. Latest was this morning.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Sorry about that. I've been adding five drops per 10 gallons. Latest was this morning.
That is all good, but really doesnt mean anything. Generally you would add enough drops of ammonia to get a reading of at least 2-3ppm.

jimbravo9

AC Members
Dec 10, 2011
That is all good, but really doesnt mean anything. Generally you would add enough drops of ammonia to get a reading of at least 2-3ppm.
Should I consider a drop a gallon starting tomorrow. I red 5 drops per 10 gallons in a few places.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store