red mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cupcake76

AC Members
Oct 15, 2011
omaha
*Enteric Red Mouth ("Yersinia ruckeri")**
*Symptoms:**
Red mouth and hemorrhages on the belly, lethargy, lack of appetite, infection in the kidney, liver and spleen*

*Causes:**
The disease is caused by the motile, gram-negative, rod-shaped bacterium identified as Yersinia ruckeri. This disease can readily be transmitted by contact or water. Fortunately, this disease is very rare.*

Salmonids, goldfish, cisco, largemouth bass, emerald shiners, sturgeon, fathead minnows, walleye, crayfish and muskrats have been found to be infected with ERM in the past based on researches.*

*Treatment:**
Sulfamerazine, Terramycin, Oxytetracycline*

Note: None of the drugs used in the past against ERM has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for use on food fish

I copied this from the disease forum. 2 days ago i got 3 albino corys and I think they have this :-( 2 were dead today, and 2 that I bbs had for a long time have very red mouths and are listless. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm not sure where to get the proper medication and am scared they will all get it even after removing the sick ones :-(

cupcake76

AC Members
Oct 15, 2011
omaha
Crap, make that 3 that caught it, so now I have 3 original Cory's and 1 new Cory that don't appear to have it. Which means that 5 got it :-(

cupcake76

AC Members
Oct 15, 2011
omaha
No, they all died and are in the freezer, and none of the ones left seem to have any problems. I will see if I can get a pic of a frozen one tomorrow. I did treat with melafix in case it was bacteria related

cupcake76

AC Members
Oct 15, 2011
omaha
now it seems that the albino is dying. he is kind of hanging vertically and didn't eat. before the others died, they were listless like this, then their mouths turned red and they died. the last 3 original corys still seem fine.

cupcake76

AC Members
Oct 15, 2011
omaha
I am going to return them, but don't have time to get over there til the weekend. The 3 peppered Cory's weren't 100% dead when I tried to remove them so I euthanized them, that's why they are frozen in water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store