boil, boil, bubble and brew

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I went out to feed the horses this morning and their water tank was a steaming hot frothing mess. What does this have to do with fish?? This is where I overwinter my goldfish and pond lilies (whiskey barrel lilies?). The goldfish are year around inhabitants of the stock tank. They eat mosquitoes, bits of hay and grain that get into the tank. There is a heater in the tank in the winter to keep everything above freezing (but it stays quite cold).

Well, today the water was HOT. Too hot to touch. The fish are dead. Cooked, actually. :cry: I asked my husband, who did chores yesterday, and yes, he did notice that 5 horses had not used any water in 24 hours. Not being an animal person, this was good news to him - wouldn't need to fill the water tank. To me it would mean sick horses or undrinkable water... Sigh.

So my goldfish of several years are gone. And the accidental babies that were eggs hidden in the lilies when they got moved to the whiskey barrel are gone.

Now my question is about the water lilies. Are they dead too? It's a little hard to tell with dormant plants... They were in water that was just a little too hot to be bath tub/hot tub water. And they were in it for at least 24-36 hours. The water was ok Sun evening. If it weren't for the fact that the horses have to drink that water, I would just wait and see. But I don't want the horses to have to drink water with rotting lilies in it. Does anyone have any guesses about the lilies??

Thanks!
Lisa

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I put them back in the tank. I guess I will just have to watch them closely so they don't pollute the water if they are dead. I am afraid they are cooked...
Lisa

hankn

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Israel
www.interall.co.il
Sorry to hear it. The thermostat on the heater got stuck?

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Yeah, the thermostat went bad. In 20 plus years I've only ever had them stop working, which is no big deal. This is the first time the heater has ever gone bad in this direction... It's supposed to keep the tank above freezing. I've never had the water feel warm, let alone too hot to put my hands in.
Lisa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store