betta & mystery snail help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
2.5 gal minibow, top mount filter
cycled 5-6 months, API freshwater master kit
amm 0, ni 0, na 20
2 java ferns, 1 male betta

yesterday i bought a mystery snail for friend for mr. betta. the snail wouldnt move much last night after he was added, but i figured its cause it is in a new tank. the other mystery snail i have (not in this tank) moves all over da place all day. this morning, i checked on snail & mr. betta, mr. betta had a big gash across his head (?) and snail had moved to the corner, but thats it. it didnt move around any more this morning while i was watching him for an hour or so. so, tonight when i came in i checked on them both, and the snail hadnt moved from this morning, ALL day. :( i watched them for a little while after feeding mr. betta, and i saw betta attack the snail by hitting the shell with his head and knocking the snail into the glass...omg. so i got the snail out & into a mason jar to see if he was dead. well, its not dead, but acts like it doesnt want to come out; it opens up very slowly and not moving at all. these are my questions:
1 is the snail simply terrified to emerge because of harrassment or is it sick?
2 is that normal curious behavior for a betta or was that aggressive attack?
3 can a betta kill a snail or bully them to death?
4 will mr. betta eventually warm up to his new friend?
thanks a bunch

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
ok. i'm gonna return the snail to the store then. thanks. i was afraid that was gonna be the answer...mr betta too aggressive for tankmates.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Antenna lookli like tasty worms

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
I decided that since I had a nice 3-4 gallon cycled tank with pretty plants (extras I hadn't wanted to throw away), pebbles, stones and rocks, a light, a heater and a small fountain-type pump to churn the water a bit, the only thing I lacked was a fish in there... so today I got a beta. He's small (thus I hope he's young) and redish and could use some meat on his bones, but I'll give him time. He's been in new home less than 2 hours and already he has attacked some snails (I have red rams in there and no others, several +1/4 inch). I saw him (unnamed as yet beta) spit out what I now realize must have been some antenna :p :) I have dropped in some pellets and some freeze-dried brine shrimp and mysis shrimp (my tetras don't mine sharing. But I have not seen him try any of them (I may have missed it). However, he is swimming about and seems to really be enjoying himself after being for who knows how long in a little cup in the pet store... I think he'll turn out to be pretty, but as long as he attains good health and keeps it, I'll be happy. It really is a beta paradise of a tank, if I do say so myself!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store