black skirts and tumors

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Greetings,

As I just mentioned in my introduction post I'm a novice aquarist. I inherited my mom's aquarium (she's alive, just tired of keeping the aquarium) about two months ago. Shortly after they arrived two of the three black skirt tetras developed black spots. My initial research led me to believe that it might be a fungal infection. However, after treating them for a fungal infection there was no improvement and the black spots started growing into lumps. One of the two tetras with lumps has one of his eyes almost totally covered by a black lump and the other has a lump at the tip of his mouth and a few more along the body. I'm wondering a few things

1. Is there any way to treat this?
2. Are they in pain and should I therefore euthanize them?

I should also mention that another black skirt tetra in the tank looks fine as do the other fish.

Thanks!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
answering questions

The tank is 20 gallons in size. All of the parameters are within the test strip paramenters. The aquarium is set up for freshwater. I’ve had the tank now for about two months. Therefore all the water was new when my mother brought the tank over, apart from the water that was used to transport the fish. Currently living in the tank I have one large pleco that is too large for the tank and I need to take to petco to be put up for adoption. I have three black skirt tetras (two of which have the black tumors), I have two small bottom dwelling fish, not sure what they are, five neon tetras and one Dalmatian molly. Again, I inherited all these fish with the tank. The tank is currently at 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

As far as filtration I have a whisper filter with biobag. The instructions say to change the biobag once a month. The only other equipment for the tank is a hood with a lamp, which is on for about twelve hours a day. The tank is situated between two windows but it receives little direct sunlight.

I use a gravel vac every other week and weekly I change about 20% of the water.

I am currently feeding the fish tetracolor tropical flakes once a day, with one day of fasting a week.

As far as unusual signs, I noted in my first post that I noticed some black spots at the base of the tail fin and around the mouth and eye in two of the black skirt tetras. The petco guy said that it sounded like fungus, so I initially treated the water with Kordon rid fungus, making sure to follow the instructions on the bottle. There didn’t seem to be much improvement, in fact the spots continued to grow and one of the fish’s mouth has gone entirely black and the other has an eye entirely covered now.

What should I do?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hi Neptunius
If your tank is cycled and water has tested 0 for ammonia & nitrite, with some measurable nitrate (say 20 or under), my best guess would be Melanomas, based on the dark color and species (tetras are more susceptible). Almost all other lumps or growths tend to be light-colored. The cause is probably a virus and is unfortunately treatment isn't possible. If the fish don't appear stressed, you may wish to keep them isolated, or, humane euthanasia is always an option. This is only my opinion, however, and I could be wrong. I've never experienced these tumors among my fish, but I double-checked a book on fish disease.

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks for the insight Jannika. The fish don't appear to be distressed, and are feeding normally. Would you euthanize, or just let them live?

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Both fish had not been feeding for the last two days and had become very listless, so I decided to euthanize them today. I used the oil of cloves method and they went very quickly. Not sure that I made the right decision, but it's done :(:(

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Sorry that you had to do that, it can be tough :( I find the clove oil scent permeates everything, including my fingertips even if I do my best not to touch anything.

Just wanted to add that when I kept black skirts, I found this problem to be common in that species. I don't know what the black spots are, along with blackened areas along their body, but mine lived to be quite old in spite of this disfigurement. There is a disease called diplopstomiasis or "black spot" but it seems to occur mostly with saltwater fish. There is also lymphocystis, which is caused by a virus and therefore does not respond to antibiotics.

It seems like certain fish are just susceptible to certain issues...for example, zebra danios with red lumps. Black skirt tetras seemed especially vulnerable to these black spots, although I have seen them in other fish, especially tetras. It never seemed to be more than a cosmetic issue for my fish, however.

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Even though I use two ziplock bags to contain the bottle of clove oil, I can still smell it and it reminds me of the dentist's office. Wonderful stuff though, and for what it's worth, I think you did the right thing, Neptunius. Good for you for having it on hand.

Neptunius

AC Members
Dec 16, 2011
Boston, MA
Thanks for the support Janykka and Platytudes. You're right about the smell of clove oil. It's still wafting around the house, and although I've washed them a number of times I can still smell it on my hands. I'm glad I bought it a week ago when I first noticed issues with these fish. It was thankfully a very quick and seemingly painless way to euthanize them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store