Black Moor still ill. ID Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
ET has been sick for a very long time. I have been doing pretty large water changes whenever I can and I have also done a cycle of pimafix. I use aquarium salt as well. His tank mate doesn't appear to have the white spots or fin shredding, but has a little redness in the tail. ET is lethargic all the time. Is there a way to find out for sure what this is so I'm not wasting time and/or money on useless treatments?326.JPG355.JPG 326.JPG

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
I don't think it's lice because I don't see any lice on the fish. What type of treatments work best for a bacterial infection? His one eye is also quite a bit bigger than the other...

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
What size is the tank? How long has it been set up? Was/is it cycled? How long have you had the moor?

What are your parameters? Is that why you're changing the water so much?

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
55 gal, tank has been up and running 4-5 years. I've had the moor about 5 years. I haven't tested water lately, so I don't know exact parameters. I have been changing water frequently because of the sick fish.

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
I haven't found much information online about treating bacterial infections short of injecting the fish with antibiotics... anyone have advice??

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
You can treat a bacterial infection with antibiotic food, but they have to be eating, and even then some don't like the taste. The next best way is in the water. I would try a broad-spectrum antibiotic such as Kanamycin, Maracyn Plus, or Maracyn II. Good luck!

anniejensen

AC Members
Feb 23, 2009
I have always put a lil salt in my tank. I am getting ready to do my weekly water change so I thought I should test the parameters. It read as follows:
Ammonia-0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite-0
pH-8.0
Are these readings anything to be concerned about? I recently added an HOB filter that was sitting around to increase filtration due to my Fluval 405 performance being sub-par. The addition of the extra filter seems to have done good things... there isn't junk sitting on top of my PFS and my black moor appears to be doing better. I do think he will need some sort of medicine in order to heal completely, but he is definitely looking the best he has in a long time. I am probably going to get Maracyn Two, I just need to get out to the store and pick it up!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store