Angel fish lays her egg and then eats them

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
My angel fish lays her eggs and then eats them. When she lays the eggs are they already fertile or does the male have to go over them. I tried capturing the eggs but so far half of them have turned white.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
They are not viable without a male to fertilize them. The fact that she eats them is a normal action. Angelfish have a taste for their eggs even without the bacon, toast and coffee that would make breakfast complete. Once an angelfish has deposited her eggs and have been fertilized, they must be removed from the tank and raised separately. The male will fertilize after they have been deposited. If the male and female are not working together, you either have 2 females or a male that is not sexually mature.

Any eggs that turn white are not viable. They are also subject to fungus development quite readily. You will need to keep some methylene blue on-hand if you wish to raise the eggs. You can expect about a 50% success rate in the beginning.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for the help[ I knew about the Methylene Blue I managed to save two angels 10 days ago. I don't think the Angels are working together but I know they are both the same age and different sex's because I managed to get two about 3 weekas ago. My problem is that the female lays the eggs and before the male gets a chance to fertilize them the female eats them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store