Crenicichla acutirostris, Long-Nosed Pike

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
This is my pair of long-nosed pikes. The male is about 12", the female 7". The female has recently developed the bright red abdomen that indicated she is coming into breeding condition. I'm hoping theybreed within the next couple of weeks.

Sorry about the quality. This is my first day with the new camera so I'm still quite the amateur!! Hopefully I get better!!

his female

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Thanks!! I guess I should take a full tank shot so that you can see what it looks like.

The fish are somewhat rare and not often seen for sale. As far as I know they have never been successfully bred and reared in captivity. Mine were wild caught and set me back $60 ea. when they were just 3".

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
I know Wayne Leibel worked with them for quite some time and once did get a few fry but I don't think they lived very long at all. Possibly not even a week if I remember correctly. So best of luck with them. We would all like to wish you great success!

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
I remember reading about Wayne's exploits with Cr. marmorata but hadn't heard anyhting about Cr. acutirostris. Are you sure he had acutirostris?

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
I do remember the Marmorata ordeal but I do remember him mentioning Acutirostis also. He did have a lot of pikes a while back and he was the person who talked me into purchasing the C. regani in Cleveland a few years back. Which by the way I did breed successfully in 1997. I do wish you the best of luck as they are a little too big for my facilities here.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
I've got Wayne's e-mail address so I'll have to drop him a line and see if he can give me any pointers...

Thanks for your time!! :)

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Cr. acutirostris come from the Amazon area of Brazil. The Tapajos River to be specific. Here's a full shot of the tank as requested:

tank shot.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store