is my fish dying?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mome rath

splatter me with mustard
Mar 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Your fish is not "in labor."

Hopefully someone else will have something more informative to say; I can't give you any indication as to how serious a problem this is, but it sounds like something that needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Edit: Also, from an AC article on Kenyis:

"Males are yellow with faint bars crossing the body vertically. Males also have egg-spot(s) on the anal fin. Females are purple with blue-black bars going vertical."

Bustedthumb

AC Members
Feb 21, 2004
cliff-pics.com
I would say that, before anything, you need to find out what your water conditions are like. Ammonia, ph, etc. etc. There could be dozens of reasons why the fish is hurting. Was it just added to the tank? What are the other tank-mates? Is there any signs of physical damage to the fish? Did you recently add anything new to the tank? Like a new piece of driftwood, plants or other decorations? The list of questions goes on and on.

It does sound serious though, fish don't normally swim on their sides. The odds are that by time we narrow this down a bit, the fish will have already expired.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store