Shell Dweller questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
So I am new to Aquaria Central but I have been posting on Monster Fish Keepers for a while. I recently picked up a 40 breeder that I plan on using for some Shell Dwellers but I am not sure as to what species I am going to be getting. I am planning on using sand and a few rocks for the decorations along with the prerequisite shells and a few Anubis.

My questions are just pretty much about filtration and tankmates. I am thinking about using a wet / dry that I have or a Fluval 405 that I have. I am thinking that if I use both, this is going to be way too much water flow. If I use the wet / dry, I would think that I could make a spray bar for it. If I did use both, would it be feasible to run the 405 into the wet / dry so that the intake and return both go into the sump? I'm mainly thinking to use the 405 as just another source for biological, not so much for mechanical.

When it comes to tankmates, I'm thinking about some Altolamp. Calvus but not sure about what else. Any idea's?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I have a 50 breeder same size as the 40 breeder just a bit taller that i use for a colony of Multifasciatus Shellies, My setup is sand mixed with a little gravel along with some Texas Holey Rock, I have some Anubias nana plants shoved in the holes of the rock and I currently have some Julidochromis juvies in with them, but most Shellies are territorial, I would not put Calvus in the setup unless they are tiny, Calvus will eventually get bigger and will eat your shell dweller fry. Here are a few photos of my Multi tank..

013.JPG

014.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

013.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 014.JPG

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorry forgot to mention i have a Aqua Clear 70 HOB and a Marineland HOB canister for filtration but any filtration will do, not sure on a wet and dry i have never used one before, Mine seem to be fine with the waters current.. Welcome to AC..

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Your tank looks good bro. I was pretty much thinking of setting my tank up pretty closely to this. I'm not too worried about any fry being eaten as I am not really trying to raise any. Besides Calvus, any idea besides Julie's that I can get away with in there? Thanks for the help and the welcome brother!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
You really can't breed more than 2 species of substrate spawners in that size tank. The calvus are pretty bulletproof as far as the multi's and Julies go, but most other cichlid species are too aggressive to mix in a small tank or need more space. If you aren't concerned with breeding you could keep a Mastacembelus plagiostoma with the shellies, Julies, and calvus. They're a smaller species of spiny eel, won't bother fish or fry but will eat substrate-spawning cichlid eggs.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No problem Pendejo yeah if you aren't worried about the colony breeding like most shellies do then i would say go for some Calvus, Julidochromis and my Fave the Mustax.. I would pick a more sturdy Shellie though more like the Hecqui or Ornatipinnis than the more smaller ones like Occies, Multi's or Brevis..

lil_pendejo

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks for the help everyone. I found out yesterday that I need to have knee surgery yet again, so the tank is going to be set up after that. As for what is going in it, I have finalized the occupants to be a group of 10 Lamprologus Ornatipinnis and I am yet still undecided on which Julie's are going in.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Ahh the Ornatipinnis one of my Faves good choice here is a couple photos of my old breeding pair.. Well good luck on the knee been there and done that, whenever you complete the tank come back and post some photos..

006 (4).JPG

003 (2).JPG

006 (4).JPG 003 (2).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store