White spots on eyes of my tetras - any ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BristolGarry

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2010
Hi Folks -

Over the past number of months, my tetras (I have 6 neon and 4 Glowlight) have begun developing white patches on the outer layer of their eyes. It began with the neons, which are a couple of years older than the Glowlights (I purchased them in spring of 2011), and has slowly progressed. All of the neons have it to a degree, but it is just now showing up in the Glowlights. I don't think it is ich, as it has taken months to progress, and there are no other signs/symptoms. It doesn't appear to be interfering much with their feeding, etc., so I am not even sure there is a disease progress here. It just seems REALLY odd that all of the neons have this going on, and that it is slowly starting to affect the Glowlights. I tried taking pictures this evening, and all the Neons went into hiding when the flash from the camera went off. Only the Glowlights didn't mind, and so I caught the four attached photos of the most affected Glowlight. The white "patch" in the center of the eye is typical of what my fish are experiencing. I have searched both this forum and other websites, and have not run across any discussion of something that perfectly matches this phenomenon. Any ideas?

I have a 20 gallon heavily planted freshwater tank with the above mentioned 6 Neon tetras, 4 Glowlights, one male Bolivian Ram, and about 18 Amano shrimp.

Thanks!

Tetra 4.jpg Tetra 1.jpg Tetra 3.jpg Tetra 2.jpg

ALAINA

AC Members
Oct 24, 2011
detroit michigan
Real Name
alaina
my dempsey has a cloudy eye and im trying to find out why too.. im only finding water quality as a prob :/ sooo i suggest doing what im gonna do in the morning.. large water change and aquarium salt? hope u find some better help!! they r cute :)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
While improving water quality will almost certainly clear up the problem, it shouldn't be thought of as a treatment. You've received a wake up call yelling you that your maintenance in general is insufficient.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
My x-ray tetra has a spot JUST like that. I have come to the conclusion that it is a cataract (cloudy cornea). I believe that is what is going on with your tetra as well. No health risks, just doesn't look pleasant. But I don't know why it would get all your neons and rummys... gravel vac hardcore and water changes is always recommended as a precaution!

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
While improving water quality will almost certainly clear up the problem, it shouldn't be thought of as a treatment. You've received a wake up call yelling you that your maintenance in general is insufficient.
+1

BristolGarry

Registered Member
Feb 6, 2010
New Question: Shut down or break down?

(Take two - my first response got eaten by the system.)

Thank you all for your feedback, but unfortunately it has come too late. I made the mistake of purchasing some more tetras (mixed) from my local Petsmart early last week. Within 2 days, the Black Tetras started showing white spots. I immediately purchased Super Ich Cure, and started administrating it at the recommended dose. I do not have an adjustable heater, and so can't do the heated tank/salt treatment. Unfortunately, it appears as if I have a variety of Ich that is immune to the medication as it has spread like wildfire through all 20 tetras, has completely wiped out the Black and Neon Tetras, and I now only have 4 Stoplight Tetras, one Bolivian Ram and about 10 Amano shrimp left alive in the tank as of this evening. (I hope the Ram makes it - he appears untouched so far - I really like that little guy!)

I suspect that by tomorrow at this time I will only have the Ram and shrimp left alive in the tank. My question is: Should I shut the tank down, or move the Ram out to a holding bowl/tank, completely strip down the tank and disinfect it and start over? Have any of you had a situation like this occur? What did you do? I have to say this turn of events is really frustrating and disheartening, especially when the guy at Petsmart that I talked to straight out said that it was my fault, that the tank already had Ich in it, and that the stress of moving the new fish in caused them to get sick. I call BS on this as I have never had to deal with Ich before in the nearly 5 years I have had the tank (we were gifted it from a neighbour). Ich is a parasite and cannot remain encysted for years or appear from nowhere. (Rant over.)

If I do strip and restart the tank, should I dip all the plants into a Potassium Permanganate bath to kill anything/everything on them? I have a bunch of African swords and other plants that I have had growing for a few years, and would like to bring them over if I restart the tank.

Thank you again,
Garry

Last edited:

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
One of two issues -- either a worm larvae in the eye (worm cataract -- no treatment/cure -- likely issue and can't spread in the aquarium due to lack of difinitive host species) or a bacterial infection (not likely in this case due to the duration over which it came on). Isolate and treat with Acriflavin (Tryptaflavin) at 3mg/L for 4 days OR use Methylene blue at 3mg/L for five days for the later. (I assumed the fish was not born in the aquarium?)

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
My answer was to your first question... not the late breaking one!

DougsGraphics

Returning hobbyist
Dec 10, 2011
New Mexico
www.flickr.com
Real Name
Doug
Malachite green doesn't keep (probably the active ingredient in your ich cure) unless refrigerated, so you probably got an old and ineffective batch. Unfortunately, lesson learned is the value of a quarantine tank! I've fortunately never had an outbreak like that, so I don't have a great answer for you on this one. Best wishes for a safe recovery

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store