Poor betta :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettabuddy

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
Hey everyone,

I haven't been on here in a while because I've been so busy.
My betta, Bud, isn't looking very good...earlier today he appeared to be caught in
the plants that are floating at the top of his tank. So I gently freed him from them and as soon as he got out he kind of fell to the bottom of the tank, struggling to swim.
He seemed to fall sideways. Since this morning (its 1:32 am here) he has been sitting on the bottom of the tank sideways, breathing heavily.

He's in a 5 gallon and I moved him into there when I came home for winter break last Friday. Since then he's been happy as can be. I've had him since late last September so I assume he's a year and a half or so? I got him from Petco.

Anyone have any ideas on whats wrong? It looks as though hes on his last leg :(

I wasn't sure if I should try to put him in a smaller container so he can access air easier or if I should leave him be and not stress him out. There are no signs of any illnesses either.

Thanks guys

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
i don't know how a betta could get caught in floating plants, but i guess it is possible. I've had water lettuce and frogbit and different kinds of plants and my betta has never had a problem. I would do a 50% water change and see if the fresher water helps him. Try to reduce the current if it's strong for him. I wouldn't put him in a smaller container. As long as your water quality is fine, he should be comfortable already. I don't really know what could be causing him to be on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. It might have been being tangled in plants, but it might have been something else. I'd just do the water change and monitor him from there. Hope he gets better.

bettabuddy

AC Members
Nov 9, 2010
I ended up lowering the water level to about 3 -4ish inches. He hasn't moved from his position on the bottom. He's laying on his side and is unable to move at all. Any other suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store