Mbuna & bottom dwellers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I've got Mbuna cichlids and upgrading to a 120tall tank. I wanted to know what bottom fish could I add in with them. They are pretty calm, not full adults yet, they don't even bother plants.
I'm limited to the fish at Petsmart, so please do not list any that I would have to buy from a breeder or online, I am not willing to pay the crazy shipping fees and have no full guarantee if they die in my tanks. I'm too poor for such chances.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Well, looks like none will work. Correct?
Synodontis Longirostris, African Featherfin Catfish, Upside Down Catfish, Pictus Catfish, Striped Rafael. All no-go's, right?
Read before that BN plecos might work, but I don't want my little guys getting their eyes eaten out, so not going to risk them.
Syno multipunctata, lucipinnis & petricola are said to work.

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
I have my mbuna with syno petricola, calico BN plecos and a Tanganyikan eel. There have been no issues. Basically as long as the fish are not "mbuna" shaped my fish don't bother them. Each tank is different though. Why do you now want to buy from local breeders? You are more likely to get better prices and healthier fish.

Though now that I think about it, I use to have a large rhino pleco that my mbuna picked on. I think larger bottom dwellers are at risk of getting shredded. The smaller ones can get away easier.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Like I stated in the OP, breeders won't let you exchange a fish for w/e reason. Even with the best acclimation and care, new fish can die and w/o the ability to get my full $ back, I'm just not rich enough to afford it. The fish are not a necessity, thus I have better things to spend on that can be returned.
I also do not need a bottom dweller in that tank, I just really like them and if I could get one in there it would be cool, if not, that's totally peachy as well.
An eel would be nice, lfs has only Macrognathus Siamensis which I like, since I won't be upgrading any other tanks again. Either way, I can't add fish until I figure out what to do w/my mean Rainbow shark. Don't want him bothering my BGK in their soon to be upgrade 75g. Can't get rid of the shark, had him for 2yrs, hes a cool guy. Don't think he can be with the Mbuna, though and keeping a 40 just for him won't sit well w/my fiance.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Blue, I just went over your 80g tank thread and saw you have a Red Tailed shark, how is he holding up? Mine is full grown, 4.5-5in I think. I have wood in the Mbuna tank that he would love to call his own if he moved in with them.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Definitely not pictus, striped Rafael I doubt you will ever see, and it's going to be a similar issue to the plecos since they will seek out the same caves and hiding places. Synos are probably your best bet, but I dont know of any box stores that sell them and they are pretty expensive usually, unless you get very small ones. Bottom dwellers are just not really common in an mbuna tank, the same way a planted mbuna tank is not common. I'm sure it can work but it's not easy, and things change as pairs form and fish mature....so best just to play it safe and leave them out, in my opinion.

I've had wonderful luck ordering online, often times it's not any more expensive either. I bought 10 Espei rasboras from Mgamer, paid about $11 after he refunded the difference in shipping...can't find these fish anywhere around here and all 10 are doing great! I never return fish to stores anyway, they always request a water test and complain my water is too hard, and suggest pH lowering potions. It only took one of their pitches for me to abstain from using the guarantee again, if they are going to blame the death of the new fish on my hard water, which I have no plans to modify...

I'm sure the rainbow shark/mbuna arrangement would work for a while, but as they get older you'll probably need to tear down the tank to remove him. This is what happened with my full grown Chinese algae eater, eventually he had to be removed from my yellow lab tank (and these are mild as far as African cichlids go!) even though he grew up with them. It did take years for them to become intolerant of him, but I felt pretty bad when he got so torn up by their spawning induced territorial behavior.

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Nicole and to add on i wouldn't buy fish from a big box store they do not have the healthiest fish and usually they have the crap that comes out of Florida's drainage ditches not to say that all the fish are like this from them because usually you can find some decent rare fish mislabeled of course, but you would be better off trying to find them local through a breeder, yeah yeah you said a guarantee but if you buy fish from one of these big box places and they keep dying i would think one wouldn't keep buying fish from them, plus they triple times or more so over price their fish.. Now as with most respectable breeders / hobbyist they try to sell their fish at an affordable price so they can move them. Its what i do and i usually throw in some extra fish when someone comes over to buy some but i also expect whoever buys fish from me to do their homework and know how to acclimate and upkeep their fish tanks, thus i do not guarantee my fish unless it was an error on my part..

Try to look through craigslist or a local fish club even if you have a fish club an hour away from your home, always ask questions from a breeder usually within a few minutes you can tell if they know their stuff or full of crap, i met a local man that lives in the city at a pet store as he was trying to sell his juvie Tanganyika's i introduced myself and now we swap fish species or he sells me a fish for 2 dollars each that was 5 yrs ago and i was just recently over at his house picking up some fish.. Aquabid.com usually has some great breeders with some great fish sometimes the deals you can find there is awesome and even with free shipping.. Fish forums like AC have areas for hobbyist to mingle and swap fish..

In closing you control your hobby there are tons of deals out there but you have to look for them if you go by the big online stores and the big box stores you will be disclosed to their high outrageous prices and ridiculous species of fish.. Have fun and enjoy our rare hobby as for me i am a lifer..

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I don't buy fish from petco, just petsmart. All fish I've ever gotten from petco had the dreaded worms. Sometimes petsmart fish are sick, but that's nothing a bit of care or meds can't fix. I spend a lot of time watching the fish and if they aren't good enough, I leave them and come back days, weeks later to see if any are better.
Anything that is living has the possibilities of just dropping dead and that is quite a common thing depending on the animal. My tanks have been up and running for a long time, darn near perfect all the time and I use well water, so there is no chemicals at all. I've bought from breeders before and have fish die from...who knows what. Even with the best acclimation, time and care, they can die and being on the poorer side, adding fish cost, shipping cost and then for them to possibly die is never going to be a small enough risk to take. If I was rich and buying online fish and not caring about a few deaths, I'd think myself reckless with money.
Any and all local small pet stores just suck, crappy fish, too pricey, not enough to choose from, tanks are just muck[algae on every freaking thing] and too far for me to be picky and come back.
Anyway, I don't need a bottom fish. If I manage to find a local member one day with a good deal and a great fish I just gotta have, I may just go for it.

I heard some have worked out with a rainbow shark, so I will try that since my fish are fairly calm and the tank will have tons of holes and hide outs as well as a section of just wood. He doesn't do much but watch his den anyway. Most of the time I cannot even see him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store