Need some advice on setting up a tang tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
So I recently started working from home and am wanting to set up a tank in my office. Right now I just have one tank going, a 130 gallon frontosa set up.

I was kind of wanting to go smallish on a tang tank, maybe a 20 gallon long. But I have an empty 55 gallon in the basement that I could get going basically for free (minus stock).

So I really like altos and comps and calvus. Which tank would you go with? What about stocking? What would fit in a 20? How about the 55?

Thanks for your help!:thm:

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Right on with what Pappy said, the 20gal would be an awesome Multifasciatus shellie tank and will provide hours of watching enjoyment as for the 55gal stick with one or the other when it comes to Altolamprologus, either do the A. Calvus or A. Compressiceps..

A group of 6 Black Calvus and a group of 6 Lelupi and a group of 6 Julidochromis to start off with for the 55gal would be awesome as well, just keep an eye on the aggression as they grow and mature and remove any as you go along.. Provide plenty of rocky cave retreats..

I have a computer room with a 120gal, 2 50gal and a 10gal and i never leave this room..

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^I had a computer room like that once. Sad was the day I took her down.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yeah Rufio i hear you on that one, but man i love my room.. LOL

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll probably be setting the 55 up since it's here already and I can have a lot more flexibility with it. Thanks too for the stocking tips.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
One key to setting up any tank for territorial species is to make sure that there are definite borders in the aquascape. A solid wall of rock, particularly if its set up against the back wall makes borders less defined and conflict more likely. Discrete formations separated by open space, and if possible room to swim easily all the way around them minimizes conflict.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Right on with what Pappy said, the 20gal would be an awesome Multifasciatus shellie tank and will provide hours of watching enjoyment as for the 55gal stick with one or the other when it comes to Altolamprologus, either do the A. Calvus or A. Compressiceps..

A group of 6 Black Calvus and a group of 6 Lelupi and a group of 6 Julidochromis to start off with for the 55gal would be awesome as well, just keep an eye on the aggression as they grow and mature and remove any as you go along.. Provide plenty of rocky cave retreats..

I have a computer room with a 120gal, 2 50gal and a 10gal and i never leave this room..
Pitt, you're certainly a lot more courageous in stocking Tangs then I would be...but if a stock like that worked out it would be an awesome tank!

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
LOL pappy i am a Tang rebel and if you would look into my tanks right now you would shake your head, I have always kept multiple Tang species together, early on and into adulthood.. But for what i recommended above is to start out young and weed out the crazy ones..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store