Trying to treat ich with salt...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
But I have a planted tank with corys, neons, angels, a farlowella and MTS that I don't want to kill in the process.

Whats the best way to do it with salt? Since I would perfer not to kill anything in my tank using something more harsh.

louxrs

AC Members
Jul 15, 2011
I wouldnt add it if I was you. Just raise the temp higher without cooking any of the fish. If you really want to add salt (which does help), mix it with water (from the tank) well- making sure the granules are completely dissolved before adding it back into the tank.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
IME the best way to treat ich is to fix what was stressing them in the first place. Fish do not get sick from ich without being stressed. Very few pathogens can infect healthy, unstressed fish. Many times fixing what was stressing the fish is the only change needed. Salt and temp can help. Fresh garlic has been shown in scientific studies to actively kill some parasites, including ich. Soaking the food in juice from freshly pressed garlic, mixing minced freshly pressed garlic into the food, and New Life Spectrum's Thera+A formula are the best methods. All NLS foods have garlic but the NLS formula has enough to kill parasites.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Well before the outbreak, I did some major work in the tank and a rather large water change to get rid of a great deal of debris that was in the water. I supposed that's what had them stressed, but I did find out that my heater isn't working properly as well, so I am replacing that tonight.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Well the neons are fine, my angels not so much, lost two of them this morning, along with my farlowella. All of which were behaving normally and seemed to be on the upswing yesterday. The farloweela was the biggest shock, I've had him for a year and never had any issues with him at all, then I find him at the bottom covered in snails this morning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store