First time Leopard Gecko Owner: Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Hey everybody! For Christmas my younger sister got me a 10g tank and I finally have room for a leopard gecko! I just want some peoples advice on the care of these guys. I am still somewhat unsure about feeding and also substrate. Can anyone help me out. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
Natural Slate tile, reptile carpet, live crickets, and mealworms. Wax worms are a treat because of the fat content.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
The safest substrate is something solid like tiles or paper towels.

Feeding is usually crickets and/or mealworms. The last time I had leos I grew my own meal worms in a separate Kritter Keeper. We used plain dry oatmeal as a substrate for them and fed the fresh produce like lettuce, apples, etc. Then we started the colony with a box of a thousand mealworms (regular size, not the supers).

Heat is vital for these guys. I used a heat pad under the tank and a ceramic heat emitter, both on the same end so there is a temp gradient for them to go where they need to be. I had a hide in both the warm and cool end. The other important thing is a shed/lay box. I used a small tupperware container and cut a hole in the side or top just large enough for them to get in and out. If eggs will not be an issue than moist paper towels are ideal to help hold the humidity up.

Use a feeding bowl to put the mealworms in. Keep the bottom of it covered in calcium/vit D3 powder (I like the ultrafine) this way the geckos get the Ca/VitD they need.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I was planning on using reptile carpet, but tile seems good too. Which one in better/easier to clean? I also like the idea of growing mealworms in a small scale. I have a large kritter keeper which is around 5 gallons, will that be large enough? Also, how much do I feed the leo? Thanks for all the help everybody!

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Put the mealworms in the bowl of calcium powder, the leos will know where to find them.

Yes, that container would be perfect for growing mealworms.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
i have dubia roaches that i breed for my sons 1 gecko i of course sell starter colonies,.. they are much cleaner and easier to keep than crickets and they wont harm the gecko unlike crickets,..
pretty easy to feed and care for

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Avoid reptile carpet because it's a breeding ground for bacteria and the fibers can tear the nails off the gecko's toes as well. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a couple ceramic tiles. They are easy to remove and clean and hold and distribute heat evenly. Plus they look more natural then paper towels.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Thanks for the quick responses everyone! Just a few more questions, and I THINK I will be ready. For heating the tank, are the Zoomed under tank heaters good? Also, I have Calcium with D3. Should I dust the crickets/mealworms with this 2-3 times a week?

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
I have not had any problems with the Zoo Med under tank heaters.

I would keep the dust in the bowl you feed the leos in all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store