125 gallon questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I just got a brand spanking new 125 gallon from Petsmart to house my current Dempsey (2") and hopefully some other fish. I got the tank, stand and lights, but still need to determine the filters, heater(s), and pick up pool filter sand for the substrate. I'm planning on stocking the tank with:

-1 Jack Dempsey (the one I have now in my 55, currently 2")
-4-6 Eartheaters
-5 Pictus Catfish

Would the Dempsey and pictus get along? Also, what would be good species of eartheater to look into?

My plan for filtration is to use 2 hydro V sponge filters along with a nice and beefy HOB filter, along with weekly water changes (I'm thinking about 30% once a week). Will this work, and if not, what would be a good alternative?

The guy at my local Petsmart (awesome store and employees btw) reccomended me manzanitaburlworks.com for driftwood, has anyone else used them before?

I'm wicked excited for this tank, and can't wait to get it up and running! All advice/help is greatly appreciated!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm picking up the filters and heater in a little bit, would be nice to know what others use on theirs...

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
I'd bump up your filtration if you have the money. Personally I'd get a canister filter in addition but if that is too much another HOB.

For Geos there are a bunch to choose from. Some of the easiest to find would be G. abalios or G. altifrons. What is your pH and hardness like? Some species are very sensitive while others aren't.

Oh and keep an eye on your demsey as it gets bigger, probably going to be more aggressive than the Geos

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I agree that I think you need more filtration. I have 3 eheim 2217s on my 125 right now. It works good for me right now with light stocking, but some would think I am still underfiltered. Minimum I would add another big HOB.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Would I better off going with a canister than with the two HOBs? (Thinking 2 AC 110s along with the sponge filters) What are the best canisters for the money?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
My PH is usually right around 7, not sure of my hardness. I don't think it's very extreme, if I need to then I'll buy the Master Test kit with any money I have leftover...

Those geos look wicked nice, but I'm not sure if they'd work well. The altifrons appear to get huge, and I've seen that they like to be in much bigger groups than I think would work well for the tank. I'm looking at Juruparis or Luecosticas right now, how would they do in this set-up? Also, does it make more sense to get them as adults or near adults, that way my JD won't outgrow them very quickly?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Canister versus hob is a matter of preference. I have canisters on my 125, but am going with hobs for my new 90. Whatever u are comfortable with. The sponge filters pack a lot of bio and I really like them. You will get a lot from them IMO.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I picked up a marineland C-360, and plan to use this with the the two hydro V sponge filters. The guy at Petsmart told me that I'd want to get a powerhead for the other end of the tank to help with circulation, is this true or will the sponges + canister be enough? I also got 3 aqueon pro 150 heaters, they're rated for 55 gallons each. Does this sound good for the stock I plan on getting?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Tank is filled and everything works great! The C-360 is amazing, it runs wicked quietly and was very easy to assemble/install. I plan on taking a ride down to Uncle Ned's fish Factory asap to check out what eartheaters are available to me, and hopefully pick up the Hydro V sponge filters.

Is it alright for me to move my JD into the tank tommorow, and then how long until it's time to start adding Pictus?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store