Questions about Tangs for a 75gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hi, everybody!
My son wants to make his 75gal a Tang tank, but he doesn't want to deal with pair formations and spawning problems; yeah, you will think he is a lazy guy, but he is a MD student finishing his doctorate and wants an easy to handle tank setup. Then the questions are:
1) Is it possible to create a Tang setup for this tank with only one fish of each different species, so that pair formations and spawning problems can be avoided?
2) Any ideas to stock a tank like this? He likes Calvus, Leleupi, Brichardi, Fronts, T. duboisi... but how to stock a Tang tank with 1 fish per species?
Any other possible different idea is welcome. Thanks!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I know that to create a tank like this, the best thing to do is to have 1 fish of each different genus, but that is not an easy task IMO. How many tangs would you add in this kind of setup into a 75gal? Any specific stocking ideas? I was sleepy last night and wanted to be myself clearer explaining this Tang project... thanks again!

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
If you go with calvis/ comps, petricola synos.. they will grow slow so it will take years before maturity. tangs will probably still breed in the tank eventually so having episcovores like fronts clavis and synos will take care of that problem

Razzo

AC Members
Mar 5, 2009
Michigan - Indiana Border
Real Name
Russ
Why not chose a couple males from several different altolamp species and put some syno cats in there for variety???

Please,... do not put a frontosa in a 75 gallon tank ;)

Russ

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Calvus and synos are good candidates, but I don't think that will be enough to my son. He is looking for a little more variety of shapes and colors. Don't worry, Russ; I will not let him to put a Front in a 75gal.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Definitely not fit for Fronts, mainly because of size. I wouldn't add Trophs as well based on both doing best in a colony situation too.

I like Razzo's idea. You could probably try other Neolamps singly...most you listed are only buggers when they kick into breeding/parent mode. That being said with cichlids I always like to have a backup plan in case things go south...

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Tangs will Hybridize me amigo remember my Mutt i had a while back.. Also to note look at my 120gal tanks and with the crazy stock i have i really do not have any issues with fry taking over my tanks.. I would stock it in normal cichlid fashion placing 5 to 6 of each species he wants and throw in a group of Syno Multipunctatus or Petricola's they will control fry population..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks, guys! Pitt, you posted recently about putting together 6 Calvus, 6 Leleupis and 6 Julidos; does it work? If it does, this can fill a 75gal with also 4 Synos; right?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Yes, and you should see my 2 120gal you would shake your head, but as Pappy stated a lot of rock work should go in..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store