Brichardi vs Pulcher: Which should I choose?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am planning on setting up my first Tang tank come spring and I am stuck between these two fish. I hope to breed these fish as well. I have the option of getting 6 F1 Neolamprologus brichardi or 6 Neolamprologus pulcher "Daffodil". I will let a pair form and then sell/give away the rest. Which one should I choose?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Brichardi.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What size tank?

It's thought that they are the same species actually, or maybe subspecies...or just different species in a complex. Who knows at this point. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they are very similar fish.

Of course they still may look somewhat different but unless you've seen them in person I'm not sure if you can just pick based on "species". There are some minor coloration differences (black stripe, yellow spot) but in terms of behavior they are generally almost identical.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
The daffodils I had, showed a lot of yellow in their fins; they were real beauties. They were prolific breeders, but I think brichardis are easier to raise and to establish a colony. As JPappy, I also ask you about the tank's size; do not commit my mistake, add them in at least a 55gal tank.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
The tank is a 29 gallon. I have read many, many stories about how the fish of the brichardi complex can easily take over a tank and kill off the other fish. This tank will be just for this pair with no other fish.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I had them in a 38gal. The problem was that daffodils grow slowly and the breeding pair were laying eggs every 5-6 weeks. IMO due to the small amount of space, they ate the previous batch each time they laid new eggs. I saw around 125 fry in the total amount of different batches; only 5 reached adulthood. That was so frustrating I gave them up to 2 friends of mine.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I plan on leaving a few fry in the tank, but removing most into a growout. The grow out tank will be pretty small, but I have 2 5 gallon tank that I can use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store