Paracyprichromis nigripinnis info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

polosniffer

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
I'm in the process of setting up a 65g tank (36" X 18" X 24") and am thinking of doing a Tanganyikan community. I'm currently finishing up a DIY 3D styrofoam background and rocks and they're turning out quite nicely. I'm hoping for a nice mix of relative non-aggressive, fairly active fish with interesting personalities.

I'm considering the following tentative stocklist:

4-5 Altolamprologus calvus
5-6 Synodontis grandiops
1-2 Mastacembelus plagiostoma or elipsifer (whichever one I can find)

Since the tank is quite tall, I'd like a school of fish to provide some action in the top portion of the tank. Paracyprichromis nigripinnis is the only Tanganikan I've come across that seems like it would work in a 36" tank, but I'm not really thrilled about them. I was hoping someone could provide some info on the personality of these guys.

Are they active swimmers? Are they shy/outgoing? Good dithers? Do they have much personality?

I'm trying to decide if they would be a good top dweller for this tank or if I should break from the biotope and go with some rainbows or killies instead to provide more activity and visual interest.

This is a smaller tank than I'm accustomed to and I'm new to tanganyikans, so I'd appreciate any other thoughts or stocking suggestions regarding the other inhabitants too.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Basically you'll have a tall 40 breeder, not really an ideal footprint. The calvus don't claim a large territory though, so they're a good choice.
Julies will also make use of taller rocks, particularly if there are shelves and/or caves in your custom background.
Paracyp's are somewhere between a rockdweller and an open-water species. They like tall, nearly vertical rock surfaces for spawning, but don't constantly hang out there. More shy than outgoing, they're actually a deeper-water species and not particularly comfortable in a brightly lit tank.
I'm not familiar with S. grandiops, but a group of petricola or lucipinnis would work. A couple of medium or large cichlid stones would be ideal for cover.
The plagiostoma are less common, but definitely better suited to a 3' tank than the elipsifer.
Livebearers like sailfin mollies would add some color and activity to the open water, fry would be picked off by the calvus.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
When i kept Paracyps Nigripinnis they were very shy stayed almost always pointing down vertically against my black background and stayed near the top only to come down to look for food or to be nosey but for the most part very docile fish.. There is a Tanganyika Killie fish but their name eludes me at this time, I have a friend who breeds them..

polosniffer

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the Paracyps aren't really what I'm looking for. I might go with some rainbows or danios instead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store