couple of questions: white anubias leaf & Plant ID (stem plant)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
can anyone tell me why my anubias is sprouting this white leaf. It's in an aquarium that is under T5NO lighting, no co2, no plant ferts, gravel substrate, and just a fully stocked community tank.

IMG_2408 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

2nd question:
Also, this little stem plant was a hitchhiker on a plant I purchased at an auction. Could you please identify it? it's very small. Probably about 3-4 inches tall. Here's some pics. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2412 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

IMG_2411 by epiclaydown, on Flickr

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
Quite interesting on the Anubia leaf. Never seen one spring out like that. Maybe just hasn't came into it's pigments yet?

As for the stem plant, it looks to be Najas.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
Sometimes my plants sprout new leaves that melt right away. I never know why, especially since the rest of the plant is healthy. I would remove it though so that it doesnt decompose and add nutrients to the tank.

The little plant is guppy grass, which I cant seem to grow planted. It grows fine floating for me, but slowly dies if I plant it. Grows fast though, nice plant for fry and shrimp tanks. Great covor and lots of surface area.

LiveMermaid07

Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.
Jul 7, 2009
Lost & Confused
Real Name
Can't Remember...
The only time my anubias's do stuff like that is when they want something lol. I vote some kind of nutrient deficeincy. Generally a squirt of flourish does the trick for me.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If you notice both plants are showing the same symptoms with very light green/white new growth. This clearly points to a nutrient deficiency. It's hard to tell exactly which nutrient is deficient as different species react differently.

My first guess would be Mn or Fe or one of the heavier metal nutrients. These are generally not transported very well and show symptoms in the young leaves first.

Your sword plant behind the hitchhiker is also showing some signs of deficiency. You really should look into dosing some fert's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store