Thread: DSB in fuge ?

Global Moderator
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Last Activity
    11-16-2014 11:58 PM

DSB in fuge ?

The middle chamber of my sump is where I keep my skimmer (insump model). If I remove the bracket holding the skimmer at the proper height and replace it with sand, do you think it will help with reducing nitrates, or do you think the footprint is too small to make a difference?

One small issue I'm having is that it's hard to siphon crap from under the existing skimmer bracket, and removing the skimmer and bracket at every waterchange is quite the hassle.

Nitrates are currently at about 30-35ppm (my own fault for not maintaining the tank as much as I should have). I'm back on track and looking for options on reducing nitrates.

The footprint of that middle section in my skimmer is 12" wide X 18" deep and I'll be ablle to go as deep as 7", which should make for quite a bit of sand.

The DT is a 90 g.

My future plans (when it's within budget) is to purchase another skimmer that can be placed outside of the sump, and use the middle area for some chaeto and/or frags.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    04-13-2012 5:16 AM
    tough fit, if it were a cone skimmer you'd have more room, but i'd definitely bust up the rock into rubble and put it down there and cheato in the 1st instead

I dunno if you'd get nice flowthat won't disturb the sand easy just judging from the baffles and height. Maybe run some biopellets or purigen for a little bit in the gfo?
    Collector of the rare and weird. Still don't have a Sand Worm yet =)

Usergroup
    Moderators
    Real Name
    Graham
    Last Activity
    Today 4:48 PM
    Water changes for the nitrates. I would not mess with a DSB unless it was completely remote from the DT/sump.

Why not out a small power head along the bottom of the skimmer section? That's a good skimmer you have. Going to be more effective that a lot of skimmers out there.
    SG = 1.024-6; Alkalinity 8.3-9.3 dKH; Calcium 420; Magnesium 1300; Temp = 76 to 80; pH = 7.9-8.3. Alkalinity and calcium are dependent on Mg.

"You can't be half a gangster" - Jimmy Darmody, Boardwalk Empire

Global Moderator
    Usergroup
    Global Moderators
    Last Activity
    11-16-2014 11:58 PM
    thanks guys...

Arakkis, I had a biopellet reactor in there, ended up removing it as it seemed to have been taking out too much nutrients, starving my corals. I'll be putting it back in the event that I get an algae outbreak.

Greech, the powerhead is a great idea. I got an extra koralia I'll be adding tonight.

Thread Information