How many ottos in a 10G?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
When they're $1.00 each at Petsmart I buy all they have and quarantine them in a 10g tank, for a couple of months. The most so far has been 22. Apparently they were happy. After I took 22 out to put into my 75g community I had three left.

For a 10g community tank, I suggest 3 - 5 depending on the rest of the fish. Otos don't produce the bio-load of a large molly, but they do have to digest a lot of algae.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
When they're $1.00 each at Petsmart I buy all they have and quarantine them in a 10g tank, for a couple of months. The most so far has been 22. Apparently they were happy. After I took 22 out to put into my 75g community I had three left.

For a 10g community tank, I suggest 3 - 5 depending on the rest of the fish. Otos don't produce the bio-load of a large molly, but they do have to digest a lot of algae.
That is what I would be worried about, primarily.

You could always go for 5-6 and hope for the best. With Otos it always seems like one should expect losses...

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
There are no other stock in there. I was planning to have it heavily planted. I've just had it up and running empty for a few months as I have been busy studying.
There is a lot of algae on there at the moment and I have had these before and loved them.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
A friend of mine kept 7 otos with shrimps in a 10G for a little over 2 years. The tank had a LOT of filtration, though. He only broke it down becuase he had to move. I would have to think that it can work, if the water quality is good, and their nutritional/social needs are met.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store