New Pleco! RHINO!:)?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Hey guys,

Today I was at my LFS looking for a few nerites and feeders.....for my angels in my 72G..........so while I was there I browsed through their pleco section and saw this amazing little guy.....or girl;) Amazing coloration and I had never heard of it......The owner told me some guy brought around 10 of them in 3-4 days back, and this was the last one......I had to have it so I bought it and a few nerites and brought them home. Only $7.50, IDK, but to me, that is a great price:) He/she is around 3" and in my 20G quarantine with a 1 eyed angel(2.5") and a few snowball shrimps...IDK if they need wood, so I left a coconut cave in there and DW.........

Here are some pics...............

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

Btw, Staff at my LFS told me this is a dwarf pleco and only gets to around 5" or so Max.......I think they are right? Any other info is welcome!:)

Thanks guys!

IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
sorry pics are crappy, but you can still see;) can't wait for my SLR(not mine:D, my dads) to come in on jan. 2nd:) then I can finally take pics that show up well on my laptop

and btw, coloration is much better in person

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Body coloration looks like a rhino, but the dorsal fin doesn't look like any of the photos on PlanetCatfish.
It does match a photo on Google Images, but those can be wrong.
That's the best I can do.

It's a nice looking pleco, in any case. Sweet price.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Don't rhino plecos get to be about 11 inches?

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hmmmm the spotting on the dorsal fin make me feel like its a gibbiceps rather then a rhino. The molted colors its displaying would be easily explained by the fact that when frightened it shows more of a molted pattern look similiar to a rhino. Rhino's have no spots from what ive seen and experienced. Either way though it is a nice looking specimen. Give it time to calm down then take pics so we could see it's normal calm coloration versus a stress coloration.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Ya, 10-11", not 5 like the lfs said. Don't need wood like Panaques, but does need some veggies in the diet along with meatier foods. Or just feed it NLS pellets, they're good for any species of pleco IME.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
very cool!
thanks!

Body coloration looks like a rhino, but the dorsal fin doesn't look like any of the photos on PlanetCatfish.
It does match a photo on Google Images, but those can be wrong.
That's the best I can do.

It's a nice looking pleco, in any case. Sweet price.
thanks, yeah, idk:) i jumped on it since it was that cheap;)

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
thx for the heads up, i didn't know then, but to me it doesn't matter as I can still keep it;) as I'm sure it will be fine in a 72G, and if not, i will rehome it or upgrade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store