betta not eating?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeremy1

AC Members
Sep 17, 2010
So I decided to foray back into betta keeping,doing it the right way this time.I got a 2g tank filtered with heat and cycled.Went and got my new betta yesterday a handsome purplish fellow.Well he is in the tank active,interactive, and kind of curious about his new home. Eveything seems great except he wont eat! I Purchased the same food he was fed at the store no go,tried some flakes no go!The only think of is I added some live plants,one of which I purchased at the same time and he has been picking in and around this one so I dont know if there are snail eggs or something he is eating? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Celes

AC Members
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle
This is normal behavior for new fish. They can take a few days to get acclimated to their new home. He should be eating in a few days time.

cutie_monster

big cutie monster
Sep 14, 2006
tazewell, TN
Real Name
brandy
mine did that too for a couple days when he first got home from the store. i was worried too, but after like 2-3 days he ate good. (pellets, flakes, & bloodworms)

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
have you tried live food? I have a picky one that only wants live shrimp.. tg i have shrimp to spare

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
I would give him a few days to acclimate himself. If he doesn't eat by then, maybe try another food like the live food arakkis proposed.

talian

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
Ontario, Canada
have two here that only eat the blood worms, one is a recovering male and one very small female, just keep offering a small amount at a time until they take interest. Some bettas are just picky in their food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store