best small pond turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
hey everyone. I am nearing the completion of an indoor pond build I have been working on. With that I have began my search mission of the best turtles for my pond. its about 4'x4' and about 3 feet deep at its deepest point. Money is not an issue in this build, what is important is that its done right. I am looking for a small group of turtles, preferably ones that wont harm larger fish. I realize that turtles often take fish for food and that its inevitable, but perhaps someone knows of a more fish friendly turtle that would be happy in my pond.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The best you can legally get imo would be a Spotted Turtle, Clemmys guttata. Max size about 4", not aggressive and very attractive. And totally illegal in every state that they're native to, CO NOT being one of them you lucky so and so! They're native and illegal where I live. You can get them online for $150 each more or less.

arowana718

AC Members
Nov 23, 2011
nyc
Fly river turtle. It lives in my cmmunty tank. Only thing it bothers is sting rays & fish that sits on bottom

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Fly river turtle. It lives in my cmmunty tank. Only thing it bothers is sting rays & fish that sits on bottom
I wouldn't consider a Fly River a small turtle or a pond turtle by any stretch of the imagination! A 4' x 4' pond would be cruelly small for a large adult of 2' plus and they would never leave the water to bask.

cmbtengr1371

AC Members
Jan 18, 2012
I would consider eastern painted turtles. females get from 8 to 10" and males stay between 6 to 8". I have kept several over the years and they do real well.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cova Charley

Registered Member
Mar 27, 2012
There aren't any turtle that won't eat fish, so I suggest keeping them separate or keeping one or the other in your tank.

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
I have come to this conclusions as well. I do not plan on turtles until the pond itself has been up and running for a long enough period of time, as to be well broken in and all I am doing is typical maintenance. the pond is in a slightly shady spot, which is why I wanted koi, but I have resolved that koi wont like being moved in and out with the seasons, not to mention digging a 4 foot deep pong in the top of the rocky mountains is challenging. I will probably just rock some fancy gold fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store