Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    02-29-2012 5:25 AM
    I am new to this site, as well as to hermit crabs. Here is my story for you to consider us for possbily adopting one of your very lucky crabs. And, by the way, KUDOS to you for saving some of earth's creatures!!!!! A relative bought two land hermit crabs in June, 2011 (at Ocean City, MD) for my daughter and they have been living at the relative's house until this past weekend. Unfortunately, one died at some point, so we received a sole crab. I have been googling and studying crabs for the past three days so as to do right by this lovely little creature. In my perfect world, these creatures would not be pets....no offense to hermit crab lovers everywhere. I now find myself tasked with providing a healthy environment and, hopefully, happy environment for Flower, the Hermit Crab. I understand from my research that these creatures are very social, so I am concerned that Flower is now alone. I purchased a 10-gallon glass tank this weekend....it has plenty of sterile sand, shallow bathing/drinking pool, salt water "lick", driftwood furniture, and natural, sterile shells for play etc.

I look forward to hearing from you, and welcome any advice, suggestions, information, etc. that you are willing to share.

Many Thanks.

Regina and Carolyn

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    02-29-2012 5:25 AM
    I am new to Hermit Crabs and live in Southern Maryland. This is not by my choice, but now that I am tasked with providing the proper environment for my daughter's Hermit Crab (purchased by a relative), I am scrambling to get up to speed with knowledge. Thank goodness for the internet!!! I have spent the past three days reading online, and am attempting to get some larger shells. Is there a Maryland store where I can quickly purchase natural shells??? I have been unable to find them locally, and have not been able to locate a local store by internet search. I believe her crab needs a larger shell. She is currently in a natural shell, but when she goes in, she still hangs out. She came to us in a hampster cage with painted shells, which I have thrown away; and dyed sand which I threw out. I bought her a new 10-gallon aquarium and filled it with sterile natural sand. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    05-02-2013 2:58 PM
    Total long shot, but are any still available?

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    05-02-2013 2:58 PM
    If so, please email me at gplover78@yahoo.com as I do not get on the boards often.

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    06-25-2014 10:44 PM
    Still available. Emailing you.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post care info here. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php, http:www.landhermitcrabs.com and http://www.crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/ are good sources of info.

They need washed sand (I like playground sand) or coco coir or a combination of both at least three times as deep as their bodies, kept moist but not sopping wet. They need a covered aquarium that can seal in humidity and heat. A hygrometer and thermometer are both needed. Both humidity and heat should be in the high 70's. They need two water bowls. One with fresh water and one with marine water (see websites for mixing directions). Both bowls should be easy to climb in and out of while being deep enough for them to completely submerge themselves in. Food needs to be free of ethoxyquin and metals. Or at least as free of metals as possible. There are only a handful of commercial diets available which match this requirement. Email me for the list, if interested. Or for recipes for DIY. They are omnivorous. They need a good supply of calcium and should often be given seaweed and coconut. They love to climb and need plenty of stuff to be able to climb on (you can create levels in their habitat), and also things to hide in and under, such as coconut caves and half logs. They need a generous supply of unpainted, preferably natural shells of different sizes and with different shape and size openings as each crab has their preference. More shells means fewer fights. Ebay is a good place to buy shell lots. Make sure you're not buying treated shells.

Don't force them to bath. They can and will do it on their own in their habitat if given suitable bowls (as described). Don't keep them out of their habitat for too long because the air is much dryer than they require. If one pinches you, don't pull! Put your hand on the floor of their habitat and it should let go. If not, run it under luke warm water. If it still won't let go (which is really rare) find something to gently pry the claw open. This should only be a last resort because you can damage their claw.

They can live to be around 25 years old!!! You can train them to do things!
    Oh fish sticks, I'm nauseous.

3° dKH/53.7ppm, 6° dGH/107.4ppm, 6.6 pH

Usergroup
    Members
    Real Name
    Janine
    Last Activity
    07-29-2012 10:21 AM

I can take some! :)

Hi! I live right outside of Philadelphia, I don't know how far away that is from you, but I'd be willing possibly meet half way or something? Right now I have 7 PP's in a 50 gallon tank. I've been crabbing for a year. I have a nice set up for them with 6 inches of damp sand and tons of climbing and hiding places. I feed them protein each night and have salt and fresh water pools. The temperature is always between 75-85 degrees and humidity percentage between 70%-90%. I love my crabs very much and would love to take in some that you rescued if there are still some left. My e-mail address is: liaynz3r0@aim.com please e-mail me if you have some crabs left!

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-28-2014 5:48 PM
    I to am interested in some if you have any left , I have not had any in years but have been looking for some with no luck local, I have a 40 gallon tank ready for them
    6 Aquariums, 125,75,55,40,40,5 and more to come
    3 Ponds 10,000 , 2500, and 90 gallons all done on those

Usergroup
    AC Members
    Last Activity
    10-28-2014 5:48 PM
    oops never mind I see that you want ship, I'm sorry
    6 Aquariums, 125,75,55,40,40,5 and more to come
    3 Ponds 10,000 , 2500, and 90 gallons all done on those

you are hypnotized! LOL livebearerfreak's Avatar
    Usergroup
    AC Members
    Real Name
    douglas harvey
    wow, alot of members with no post here... for all the member with no post, you need atleast 5 post to send/recieve PMs..

and GLWS!!
    help save monster aquaria network! sign the petition please! http://support.monsterfishkeepers.com/
    have 30 tanks, onces set up now are four 20G one 20L one 10. but have tanks from 5 gallons up to four 55s

Usergroup
    Members
    Last Activity
    10-25-2012 2:27 PM
    There isn't any chance that you are still looking for homes for these guys are you? We currently have 4. I have 2 small boys, one of which is Autistic and he absolutely LOVE these crabs. he helps me care for them every day. So we are looking to give a great home to more, if still in need. WE live in North East, MD. I hope to hear from you either way. Thank you.. Sincerely,
    Jamie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information