FREE Land hermit crabs in MD/DC/NOVA area Pick up only

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
So I rescued 50 hermit crabs from a horrible situation and they're ready for new homes now and are healthy again. I'm not asking a rehoming fee BUT I want to make sure that they go to good homes (they can like over 25 years) so I'd like to know what you know about their care and what kind of habitat you have for them. And if you don't have a habitat for them yet, I can wait until you get one set up.

Their shell openings are about 1"-1 1/2" so they're smallish/medium sized. About the size that you'd find at Petco/Petsmart.

Again, these are land hermit crabs, not aquatic crabs.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
I could probably take one or two, but it would have to be shipped. I have a bunch of micros/smalls and two big ones in a 10g. It's kind of overcrowded though, so you decide.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Would you know whether they're the Caribbean or the Ecuadoran species? I have a friend who maintains a colony of the Ecuadorans and would probably have room for a few, but she won't mix the species. The easiest way to tell is the shape of the eyes, which is oval on the Ecuadorans and round on the Caribbeans.

FishDreamer48

AC Members
May 25, 2009
Kentucky
Good luck with the rehoming! Bump for an awesome person!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I could probably take one or two, but it would have to be shipped. I have a bunch of micros/smalls and two big ones in a 10g. It's kind of overcrowded though, so you decide./QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm not excited about putting them through shipping.

Would you know whether they're the Caribbean or the Ecuadoran species? I have a friend who maintains a colony of the Ecuadorans and would probably have room for a few, but she won't mix the species. The easiest way to tell is the shape of the eyes, which is oval on the Ecuadorans and round on the Caribbeans.
I'm pretty sure they'll all purple pinchers, so Caribbean. I wonder why she won't mix the species? People keep them successfully together with the same generalized care. Not me personally, I've always had purple pinchers since I take in people's that they got from the boardwalk and what not.

Good luck with the rehoming! Bump for an awesome person!
Thanks!

IGotCrabsInOC

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2012
I'd be more then willing to take as many off your hands as you wished to depart with. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, have over 20 years experience with hermit crabs and am a member of the HCA. I own an 80 gallon tank filled with crushed coral as a subtrate, both dechlorinated and saltwater dishes and feed them a wide variety of foods. I have driftwood, cholla wood, fake plants and tons of hiding places for them to hide out and relax. Anything else you want to know please feel free to ask.

Hermitcrabgirl

Registered Member
Feb 18, 2012
I would like one please! Where at do you ship? Also does oit come along with all the stuff you need? Please reply back to me I would realy aprushiate it! Thanks Alot

Hermitcrabgirl!

JustinDavis

Who says Convicts are boring?
Jun 7, 2011
She clearly states she does not ship.

I would like one please! Where at do you ship? Also does oit come along with all the stuff you need? Please reply back to me I would realy aprushiate it! Thanks Alot

Hermitcrabgirl!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Igotcrabsinoc, please get in contact with me or turn on your messaging!

Hermitcrabgirl, please do research on hermit crab care before getting any. They need specific care. Having just one would be cruel because they're social animals and live in colonies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store