How many Discus to add to the tank at a time?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Merlot

AC Members
Dec 27, 2011
I am slowly working towards creating my Discus tank - and have finalized a lot ideas I had for it. Now my questions concerns the amount of Discus I can add at a time in the tank. I have a 33 gallon tank and planning on putting 4-5 2.5/3 inch discus in it (then shift them to a 55 gallon). Given the social nature of the fish and not wanting to affect the water balances - can I add 2 fish at a time? I don't want them to be too upset or bully a third one. I realize they are picky fish and really want to try my best to give them a new healthy home. Thanx!

duffer

AC Members
Sep 25, 2005
Hi Merlot,

You probably should get 5 to 6 discus all at once and just put them into the 55 gallon aquarium.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
That's appropriate advice from duffer, merlot.

Since you're just starting out with discus, it's best for the fish and safest too, to introduce your 5 or 6 fish at the same time, into the 55 gal, and by getting the same stock from the same source.
In this case, you also will not need to quarantine (e.g. new arrivals added to an existing pair.)

As they adjust and settle in to their new surroundings, you also wouldn't be facing the possibility of stressing them once again by moving them to the larger tank in just a short period of time (perhaps a couple of months at best).
In addition, you won't be subjecting them to potential stressful pecking order establishment, nor to possible cross-contamination by adding fish to a first group that may come from a different source, or of different stock.
Hope this helps.

Merlot

AC Members
Dec 27, 2011
I will see if I can get the 55 gallon sooner then. As to buying the fish, have you ever heard of Hans Discus? I can go there in person (1 1/4 away from where I live) or have them shipped? I have nevere pirchased fish online and not sure I like the idea of them being shipped in a box...even if overnight...thank you for all the advice!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
Hans Discus is very well-regarded as one of the top North American importers/suppliers of high quality, healthy discus. You can't go wrong getting your fish from him, especially since you're close enough to go pick them out yourself in person.

Just be sure you properly cycle your new tank before getting the fish.
If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to call on me.
All the best to you - good luck & enjoy the hobby !

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Real Name
Paul
P.S.
Thought I'd mention - If you haven't reviewed it already, it may help you to read my Beginner's Guide to Discus, a Sticky located in the Angels & Discus Fish sub-section of the Cichlids section here on AC.

Merlot

AC Members
Dec 27, 2011
Yes, of course! The tank still being cycled and water parameters adjusted. I am just preparing myself in advance and picking out what I want.... Unfortunately, I cannot afford buying the whole store so I need to make a final list before going.... :)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I will see if I can get the 55 gallon sooner then. As to buying the fish, have you ever heard of Hans Discus? I can go there in person (1 1/4 away from where I live) or have them shipped? I have nevere pirchased fish online and not sure I like the idea of them being shipped in a box...even if overnight...thank you for all the advice!
Wouldn't a 56 be a better tank for discus than a 55? Discus don't need the horizontal running room as much, but more vertical space, correct?

TNTDiscus

AC Members
Jan 3, 2012
Wouldn't a 56 be a better tank for discus than a 55? Discus don't need the horizontal running room as much, but more vertical space, correct?
Actually discus do need the horizontal bottom space to establish territories. If you do not have enough space you will find some fish that will get bullied to the point they will stress and start having illness issues. Discus are a schooling fish in a sense they do feel more secure in numbers but one must not forget that they are still cichlids with cichlid tendencies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store