Should I be concerned?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
I recently added 4 new multi's to my multi tank. There is 1 new male and 3 new females in the tank now, along with the pair I already had in the tank (tank is a bowfront Eclipse 12). Both of the older inhabitants are much more lively now having more tankmates, and the two males seem to constantly shift control of the tank. However, two of the new females are always at the surface. They eat better than the others and have just as healthy fins and body shape. Should I be concerned that they aren't staking out claims in the shells like the rest?

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I would keep an eye on them. A lot of times the fish at the bottom of the pecking order will get forced out of the hiding spaces.

Do you have extra shells? You probably want at least 2 per fish. You also can use small caves or PVC elbows if you don't have enough shells.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
I have 36 escargot shells in the tank, and I rearranged them when i put the new guys in.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Multi's do not take to new residents really should have waited for a while to allow the pair you have to fill the voids, more than likely if the females are pushed to the top they may be killed or harassed.. Just keep an eye on them, Multi's usually never venture towards the top..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Multi's do not take to new residents really should have waited for a while to allow the pair you have to fill the voids, more than likely if the females are pushed to the top they may be killed or harassed.. Just keep an eye on them, Multi's usually never venture towards the top..
I definitely agree with this...I would probably worry if they are hanging towards the top for an extended period of time.

plantedtank12

Sign the Petition!!
May 6, 2011
York SC
Real Name
Nathan
Well now the males have each taken half the tank (I am sure of the sexes). The two females that were on the top have now settled down on the younger males half of the tank, they now only come to the surface when i drop some shrimp in and they stay near the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store