Peacocks in a 40B?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
I picked up a 40b at Petco during their 1$ per gallon tank sale. I've been wanting to do a harem setup for Peacocks, but I'm not sure if a 40B is big enough. I've always had a thing for Jakes, but is there a better choice for a species to do a male with 3 females?

I appreciate any suggestions you might have.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
you MAY beable to do 1 male 3 or 4 females at most, i would do elec blue ahli haps :) or 1 male 3 or 4 female flavascnt ( i have both and love them! )

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
A 40 should be fine for a harem setup! My Jake is one of the most beautiful fish in my tank, even without a female to display to. Not too big, either. I read that in Lake Malawi they're very secretive, like to hang back in the rocks, and found that to be true. They're not shy, though. I'd love to see how colorful a courting male could get.

elvis8.jpgelvis9.jpg

elvis8.jpg elvis9.jpg

Last edited:

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you love Jakes, go for it! 1M and 3F should be fine in that 40B with sand, rocks and places for the females to hide and rest.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Thanks for the replies. If I go forward with this, is it recommended to have target/dither fish to give the male something pay attention to. I was going to skip the dither/schooling fish just to keep the bioload down. Although I suppose I could place a dozen zebra danios in there, which wouldn't be much a additional waste load, and if they get eaten, they get eaten. Would it be better to just keep them alone or have another cichlid(big enough to get the males attention, but small enough to both get away and not be a real threat)?

For filtration I was thinking a wet/dry sump arrangement. They are efficient(a necessary quality for rifties), allow me to hide almost all the equipment, and add to the overall volume of the system which helps the parameters remain more stable.

Last edited:

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Keep them alone if anything add another type of Cichlid a tough one that will take some crap.. I would add a Tanganyika Lelupi sorta large..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store