Stray voltage ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Hi All

I am away from home right now , returning in 5-6 days my wife is looking after my tanks :crazy:

So today she was doing something with my frag tank and got a shock from the water so she says

I know i could use my multimeter and check it out , but im not home and my wife is not going to test it with a multimeter just not going to happen :shakehead:

So would a volt stick work ? I have one and im sure she can use it , just turn it on put the tip in the water check for voltage or well it need to be grounded ?

I don't think its stray voltage i guess its faulty equipment

The tank has the following equipment

Light fixture
heater
power head
protein skimmer

Last edited:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I wouldn't...

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19911218.html

"29 CFR 1910.303 (a) and (b) require that electrical equipment be "approved", meaning listed or labeled by a NRTL. Since the "Volt Stick" has not been listed or labeled by a NRTL, it does not meet 29 CFR 1910.303 (a) and (b) standards. The exposed metal clip, aluminum case and cap make the "Volt Stick" a potential conductor and may expose the user to the hazards of electrical shocks."

I would definitely figure out if SV is an issue. Can be stressful on livestock. If its's the heater, it could be a bad sign that it may blow. Is it a Stealth heater by chance? How bad is the shock? Not that this is safe either but how about unplugging the heater and seeing if the shock is still there?

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Its a old heater not sure on brand but i do know its a cheap one and its not a stealth thinking maybe a tetra,

My volt stick is not a conductor its all molded plastic no metal parts but its not water proof only the tip would be as its a molded part , its appoved by c CSA us, CE, TUV, C-Tick. CSA is a NRTL

Even if i had my wife unplug the heater how would i know if the shock was still there unless she put her hand in the tank again, and she told me it was a bad shock her arm went numb for awhile :flamed:

It is a frag tank with only snails and not sure if there alive or not

Last edited:

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Update

The wife unplugged all the equipment other then the light and installed a old powerhead I had as spare

so i hope the tank well be fine for next few days

Thanks all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store