New to cichlids- got a krib!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sara3502

AC Members
Jun 28, 2011
I have a 6.6 gallon tank with dimensions 24 inches long by 6 inches wide and 9 inches deep... I have checked everything with that site that checks how stocked your tank is and it says it works. I have had the tank running for 6 months and it is at perfect temp and ph for the fish. Today i got my first krib from a lps!!! They said its a baby one and I believe them because its only one inch long and also its a female. Its the only fish in the tank, except for a few ghost shrimp. it has a flowerpot, rocks, and live plants and a piece of driftwood. its very curious, looking at everything and swimming everywhere. All im wondering is if this is a good tank, and how old would you think the baby is and how long until its an adult? I am plannng on getting it a male friend soon, and also its not very colorful unless it sees something interesting and then its stripes turn black not gray. I really want it to be very colorful. Also its belly is not very pink. Please help and thanks! It will be fed on hikari cichlid gold and frozen bloodworms and occasionally spinach.

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
i think most people would say that even though your krib is a baby, your tank which is only 6.6 gallons is way too small for it. Hopefully you have future plans as far as getting a bigger tank for him/her and future tankmates.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
If you only keep the krib, you will probably be ok. Although it may decide to snack on the ghost shrimp when it gets bigger.

To get the colors you see in a lot of pictures, you will need a pair that is breeding, or at least courting. Even without the breeding coloration they are still an appealing fish.

Sara3502

AC Members
Jun 28, 2011
Okay, I am planning to get a larger tank but at the moment its in this one and it will be fine for a while based on alot of research... My thinking is because its as long as a 20 long and its not tall and the fish is a bottom dweller so it should love it for now

BigJohn

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
I understand your point about about the tank being long enough, but there is not enough volume in there for a full grown krib. It is also the footprint of a 20 high if I am not mistaken.

Kribs get a little tight in there, I've tried in the past. They get aggressive with each other.

As your set up is, the shrimps will become lunch soon enough, but being ghosts, it is no big deal.

I think you should aim for at least 36" if you want a breeding pair with other fish. It makes everything a lot easier.

When you do upgrade to a bigger tank, I would still run that little one. You could do so many fun things with it:

- Shrimps extravaganza
- Celestial pearl danios
- Dwarf puffers
- one of the cool tiny boraras

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store