how many times a day should i feed my huge common plecostomus.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

purpleturtle

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2012
how many times a day should i feed my common plecostomus and loaches?

he is large (was only a couple inches when i got him in 2005 and now he is at least a foot long snout to tail tip, i have him in a larger tank now that he shares with three kuhli loaches that are over 10 years old). he usually sleeps during the day so when i see him start to swim around. i put algae discs in. i put three now and used to put two. sometimes he eats it and sometimes waits till a bit later. then when the light goes off or right before, i started feeding him either a diff kind of wafer (2 or 3), shrimp sinking pellets, bloodworms, yellow squash, or zucchini, etc. he doesnt go for sweet potato or seaweed or greens as of yet. he loves the zucchini and yellow squash. i do find strands the next day but he scrapes it almost clean. i put in a 4 inch piece or so and leave it in for a few hours. i try to feed him different stuff daily. am i feeding him too much? sometimes he has long poo strands and the tank gets alot dirtier now that i have been feeding him twice a day. there is also natural driftwood in the tank he munches on.

should i feed him once a day at night or twice?

thanks in advance :)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I don't feed mine everyday. Sometimes he will eat only once a week and at others will eat daily. When he is ready to eat, he will snag one of the Oscar's floating pellet and munch down on it while ignoring the food that is in the tank for him. Mine is about 14-15", age unknown.

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
I feed my plecos once a day, in the evening, but while the moonlight is on in their tank. This way I get to see them out and about before I turn the light off for the night!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store