Male betta and female betta living next to each other?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jenricae

AC Members
Dec 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC Canada
Hi,
I have a male betta in a small tank and a betta enthusiast had suggested that i get a separate small tank/cube for a female and put it right next to the male. He said that the male will exhibit really neat behavior with a female in sight. Is this true? I wouldn't want to stress either fish out...

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
I think it should work. The male might even start building a bubble nest. I have some apistos in adjacent tanks and see them try to interact through the glass.

Another trick is to provide a mirror for the male and he will try to attack his relflection, because he thinks it is another male.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
I usually use a standard 5.5gal and put a mayo jar in the center. Male on the OS and female on the inside. trade half of each water with the other to trade hormones, they female is ready, the ovipositor is extended almost 1/8in the make should have picked up the scent and started to make is nest, then they can go together till the egglaying is done

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store