Berried yellow female question and another general question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meister1981

AC Members
Dec 29, 2011
I'm still new to shrimp and I've had a few questions over the last week and still have more but I have a berried female yellow shrimp that dropped down here eggs in the last few days. She had a ton of them but over the last 2 days she has been fanning them nonstop and this morning she barely has 4-5 left. What does this mean? Were they not fertilized? is there another explaination?

The other question I have is in regards of shrimp dying. The parameters seem great but I keep getting shrimp dying off any time I change something. I have yellow shrimp, blueberry shrimp (neocaridina palmata) and 2-3 amano. 10 Gal tank with java moss, java fern and driftwood and rocks, fluval substrate
P1000782s.jpg
PH=7
ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=between 0-5
GH= I keep it around 80ppm
Tank was cycled for about 1 month with 6 tetra neons everything went well
we had a hydra outbreak that we treated with panacur

Yesterday I did my water change of 20% in the tank. Water was heated to tank temp before putting it in and treated with Prime. I did add some seachem equilibrium to up the GH that I loose at the same time. This morning I checked the GH after finding a dead blueberry shrimp and it had risen to 100ppm. I suspected that this might be the reason.

I'm a little depressed with all this as we invested about $500 in the setup and we can't seem to get a break and enjoy the aquarium. We are almost ready to call it quits but we enjoy the aquarium really.

maybe someone can help me out at how you should go about adding products such as equilibrium etc or what may shock the shrimp. Maybe I should not be adding it right away after the water change or something. I do dissolve it in tank water before adding etc but maybe it is too harsh for the shrimp if you add it all at once. We really don't have anyone we know that can guide us through the steps involved in starting out with shrimp.

As for ferts, I only dose seachem potassium because the Excel looked like it had the bad effect on the shrimp that people reported even at the suggested dosing so we topped that.

Any basic good help would be welcome

P1000782s.jpg

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
How long has the shrimps been in there? Usually they need time to fully adjust to their new enviroment. I get a few losses here and there in the begining. As for your berried yellow who knows. Could be a number of reasons. In time, it will get berried again. I change my water with no ill effect on the shrimps, but I don't dose with ferts or adjust the water with anything other than prime. Maybe the biggest solution is leaving the tank alone. Hows your feeding? Are you 100% sure the hydra is completely wiped out? And did you use carbon to remove the med from the tank?

Last edited:

meister1981

AC Members
Dec 29, 2011
Most of the shrimp have been there at least a month with the most recent about 2 weeks. The feeding was my other question that I posted in a thread yesterday if you want to look at it. I'm pretty sure the hydra is gone and when we treated with panacur, I took out the charcoal filter for the duration of the treatment and after that I added a brand new pouch of seachem charcoal to get rid of the panacur.

Am I just unlucky or do most people starting with shrimp get this much trouble in the beginning?

meister1981

AC Members
Dec 29, 2011
What should be my aim for the KH and GH?

For the GH the LFS guy told me it could be as high as 110ppm but I try and keep it around 80ppm. I use seachem equilibrium but was wondering when I do my weekly water change of 20%, should I add the equilibrium in the pal with the heater and let it dissolve and add it that way or is the way I do it right now by mixing with some aquarium water and just adding it that way after the water change even if it is not fully dissolved is ok?

I had another death this morning and I'm starting to wonder if the death happens right after molting!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
I think there are some mysteries still in shrimp keeping. I have a little stable 5G for my yellows, and they breed slowly if at all. I threw them outside last summer in an unfiltered tub where they were subject to huge temp swings and changes in water quality, and they bred like jack rabbits. I wish I had some advice for you!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
that gh and kh are pretty low for neocaridina. WHile they are the most flexible of the shrimp on the market, perhaps there is something lacking that they need to complete a succesful molt.

What is your hardness without using seachem equilibrium? Have you contacted them or lookedo n teh bottle to make sure that is invertebrate safe? While its a hardness buffer, I have no experience with using it at all. You might give them a call or send an email to ask. Other alternatives to buffer your water that are fairly easy is a bit of crushed coral in the filter. You just replace it as it erodes away.

There are TONS of supplements on the market, but I would be tempted to start simply rather than adding more chemicals or additives. Why not try dropping a piece of cuttlebone in the tank for the shrimp to graze on to enrich their diet a bit.

meister1981

AC Members
Dec 29, 2011
Do you know of a product that is invert safe to raise the GH and one for the KH? I think my LFS only has seachem equilibrium.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
baking soda will raise the carbonate hardness. Crushed coral can buffer as well. You could even consider using a little cichlid substrate (usually compiled of crushed shells i.e. crushed coral) to buffer things. I don't think you need to get it much higher, and am not even sure that is what your issue is. I really would contact seachem and make sure the buffer you are adding is invertebrate safe.

meister1981

AC Members
Dec 29, 2011
Well I went to the LFS and talked with my guy over there and he told me there was another product called seachem replenish which is a liquid compared to the seachem equilibrium. The seachem equilibrium is for planted tanks and I noticed it has iron and manganese which I imagine would not be invert safe. The seachem replenish on the other hand does not have those which may be better but I'm still a little unsure.

My question now is for the people that have kept shrimp for a while. What do you guys use to balance your GH and KH?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store