Small hospital tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

faronem

Registered Member
Jan 6, 2012
Boston MA USA
I have a nice 3 yr old red betta. The poor guy developed a touch of fin rot and what looks like some pretty bad mouth fungus. I think this happened after introducing a new plant in the main tank. Everything except this betta seems back to normal, so my intent is to give him a week of erythromycin.

I would normally put him in my QT tank and dose him, as I have done twice before, but this time I happen to have some new fish in the 2.5 gal QT tank and I'm not ready to put them in my main tank yet.

Of course, I could dose the entire QT tank and put the betta in there. However, I'd rather not dose other fish that don't really need it. Also, the QT is fully cycled--I'd rather not crash it.

So, this got me to wondering what people do for treating their bettas in terms of tank size preferences?

I have a little 0.75 gallon tank with no filter. It's small, but it would save on medication costs. And, I'm wondering if he might actually prefer water without any current for the week? Of course, I will do partial water changes daily.

Also, I wonder for this sort of treatment what temperature would be recommended (he's used to about 76F).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

talian

AC Members
Feb 9, 2012
Ontario, Canada
A tank that size is okay for a med tank, I have 2 med tanks here myself about 1 gal each, it is okay to move them into a quiet tank to recover but you do face a few things, a bit of fungus is not sever if you catch it early enough. If your fish is still active and happy then you face taking his freedom from him, I couldn't do it with my big baby so I treated the whole tank, in the end what is a bit more money to the happiness of your fish, that is more the question. Now if you notice him struggling then yes a smaller tank until they recover would be better, less stress, quieter waters and easier reach for the surface air so it's more a judgment call based on what is best for your little guy. Tank changes, aquarium salt and pimafix is what I used, daily for the tank changes, pimafix and pulled the carbon filter. If the tank is so big reduce the water level in the tank, that way he can stay at home without much loss of freedom or putting you on the spot without a QT tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store