Feeding Sultan and Flash Plecos

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

catfish crazy

AC Members
Nov 1, 2011
Iowa
I have read the sticky for dietary needs but i am looking for fresh vegetables that will be readily available at the grocery store that will sink. I tried fresh and blanched zucchini but it doesn't sink. I am going to get a vegetable clip soon but need something that will sink until then.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Just rubberband it to a rock or a fork or butterknife. I have gotten some squash to sink by blanching but sometimes they just refuse to. Pleco's with get to them whether they sink or float. Also make sure u have driftwood for your flash since panaques are big wood eaters the sultan will benefit from meaty foods just not sure how to feed them with a panaque in the tank. To much meat for other pleco's can be fatal.

yayfish24

AC Members
Jan 6, 2012
I use forks to sink my veggies. Some people claim the forked end will hurt the fish my mine seem to be smart enough to not swim right into them. Just dont leave the beggies in there for days. It will start to decay if it isnt eaten. My sultans eat just about anything given to them. I usually stick to shrimp pellets and various sinking wafers and flakes. Out of curiousity how big is your sultan? Pics?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I used stainless steel skewers, then I found that canned green beans (french cut) are simply easier to deal with. They sink on their own, and disappear completely overnight.

catfish crazy

AC Members
Nov 1, 2011
Iowa
He is a just a juvenile at around 2.5". I will try and post pics sometime soon. Thank You for all of the good information. I am getting a veggie clip soon but i am going to try the rubberband technique. They have both been eating the New Life Spectrum sinking pellets. I put some in last night about an hour after lights out and i turned one of the room lights on about 10 minutes later and both plecos were zooming around the tank vacuuming up pellets.:dance:

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
I feed NLS pellets to all my fish as the staple diet, even the L-204's thrived on them for years.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
My boyfriend got a carrot to sink once. Boy did I ever have a start when I was wondering what all that orange debris was at the bottom of my tank.

catfish crazy

AC Members
Nov 1, 2011
Iowa
I got a veggie clip last night and fed the plecos zucchini. The flash pleco went nuts and ate alot of it. I didn't see the sultan pleco eat any of it but i put the zucchini in just before lights out so he could have eaten off of it and i didn't see it. There was barely anything left on the strip of zucchini.:dance:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store