Need Some Help with ID and sexing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Hi, I have 2 cichlids in my tank right now - I'm sure that one is a blue male red zebra (metriaclima estherae) - although he's more of a grayish purple with stripes than blue. I think the other is a female - but I'm not sure. I'm attaching a photo of each. I know I need to get a couple more females -- is there anyway to sex young cichlids so that I'm sure to get more females and not more males?

IMGP4120.jpgIMGP4125.jpg

IMGP4125.jpg IMGP4120.jpg

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I'm thinking that many pet stores are not going to allow me to grab a fish and vent it - although I do understand that's really the reliable. I was wondering if anybody new if there were any ways to predict, maybe not 100%, whether or not a red zebra is male or female by just looking at it swimming around. If not I may try to find some older ones. Also, does anybody know for sure if the two I've posted actually red zebras?

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
The yellow one looks like my yellow labs. . . though I'm not positive. I'm fairly new to Cichlids too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store