Will N. helianthus and N. brichardi cross breed?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Greetings,

I went to the LFS to pick up a N. brichardi but I am pretty sure I ended up with a N. helianthus instead, which I am fine with as I think they look better anyway, which is why I told the worker to get that fish. I thought it was just a really healthy N. brichardi not a different species.

Anyway, out of curiosity, will the two species cross breed due to being so similar?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Helianthus are very easy to distinguish from brichardi as the fins are not nearly as long on helianthus. Also helianthus have nice yellow coloration to the body. Without seeing I could be wrong, but it's more likely that you got a Daffodil than a helianthus. First pic is the helianthus.

sm_helio-01.jpg ae3e83321a415e44826e0b99986246b8.jpg

dbcb314

Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I know it is a helianthus. It colored up big time when I got home and I looked it up to confirm. I didn't know the species existed when I bought the fish. The tank on the outside said bichardi so I wanted the healthiest looking one and it just happened to be a helianthus. Haven't been into Africans in over 10 years so my "knowledge" is still catching up.

My question is whether the "bichardi-like" (for lack of a better term) will cross breed or not.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Yes, there is an extremely high possibility they will crossbreed if you put them together. Both are members of the so called "brichardi complex", which also includes daffodils and a few other very similar species.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Although superficially similar in appearance, in my experience with breeding brichardi, helianthus and Daffodils one glaring difference was immediately apparent. Unlike the Daffs, and brichardis, my helianthus never formed a colony like brichardi do. At a certain point the young were driven off like in most substrate spawners. I suppose an interspecific pair could form, but another thing I noticed was that helianthus were just plain meaner than either of the other species. Personally I wouldn't mix such similar species in the same tank for other reasons besides potential hybridization anyway.

dbcb314

Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I honestly just don't want the helianthus breeding at all. I have no interest in breeding and I don't want the attitude change that comes along with it.

I like the look are "regular" brichardi's as well hence the question. I will just keep the single helianthus and go from there. It has enough attitude as is lol.

Thanks for the responses guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store