Marimo Moss ball from petsmart- how can i tell if it's real?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
I got a 1.5" diameter marimo moss ball from petsmart that was listed as such, but after reading around the internet people say it may just be java moss. i squeezed water out of it when i got home and it's currently floating in the jar it came in. how can i tell if it's a real marimo moss ball besides cutting it open?

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
the petsmart stores i've visited always have the real ones. I've never seen a marimo ball at petsmart that looked like a ball of java moss. I'm not sure about how to disinfect one. You might want to quarantine it though.

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
Potassium permanganate dip or bleach dip would probably be too harsh, I would just QT it if you feel the need to.
i'm going to keep it in the jar it came in for a few days and make sure there are no visible hitchhikers. I emptied out the petsmart water, washed the ball and squeezed the water out of it, and put water from my tank into the jar.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've read about fake ones before from petsmart but most of those postings are a couple years old, from what I've seen they only carry real ones now.

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan.

They look like real marimo balls to me, too. It's a chain and all, but they've been more or less decent as a pet supply store (in my experience). Strange thing is, ever since I started picking up equipment from them, their aquatic selection has been expanding by leaps and bounds. Their fish look better, they've got more and more fancy brands of food, they've got Marineland LED lights now, there's real aquarium gravel and a wider selection of tanks. Maybe it was the holidays?

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
When you squeeze them all junk that made it sink is gone and is filled with air, mine do this too. To get them to sink again you either wait a bit (they will sink on their own) or squeeze them under water so they release the air and take in water. Remember to squeeze the detritus from them time-to-time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store