Another Pleco Issue. Know What This Is?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Only had the L-200 a week or so and noticed this. It's pretty hard to notice especially out of the water. Any guesses as to what this is? Best case heater burn. Worst case Flex/Columnaris. I doubt it's the latter, but...

Right now the fish is in isolation just in case.

Opinions please.

Pleco mark b.jpgPleco mark c.jpgPleco mark a.jpg

Pleco mark c.jpg Pleco mark b.jpg Pleco mark a.jpg

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
It looks as if there are 2 affected areas? Pics are too blurry. I would give him lots of clean water for now. See if you can get a clearer picture up.

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
It looks as if there are 2 affected areas? Pics are too blurry. I would give him lots of clean water for now. See if you can get a clearer picture up.
I took about 20 pics and that was the best of them. :/ The pics are fairly accurate as to how it looks. Doesn't really look like fungus or disease - just lighter pigmentation? There are indeed two areas of discoloration. Out of the water the marks aren't really visible.

I'll change water every 3 days and watch it. Will try for better pics as well.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
many of my plecs have irregularly shaped patches that will blanch out if the fish is stressed...i call them stress spots...it could be one of those if its just weaker coloration.

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
many of my plecs have irregularly shaped patches that will blanch out if the fish is stressed...i call them stress spots...it could be one of those if its just weaker coloration.
Hmm. That's interesting. Hopefully that's all it is. How long do the patches last on yours? Hours, days, weeks? Thanks.

Got a couple more pics of the cloudy patches. They look the same as they did yesterday. Won't be able to get pics that are any clearer than this:

Pleco Mark e.JPGPleco Mark d.JPG

Pleco Mark e.JPG Pleco Mark d.JPG

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
normally mine will show theirs spots immediately when stressed, if somebody tries to taste them...or i bump the fish during cleaning, the spots go away whenever the fish calms down...idk when that would be in a QT tank...try giving him a cave and see if he colors up again when hiding...TBH though that doesn't quite look the same in these pictures...kindof looks fungal so I'd be keeping that water clean clean...anybody have thoughts on a UV sterilizer? i've got one for my QT tank.

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Decided to try some Paraguard in the iso tank to see if that has any effect.

Squint

AC Members
Jan 21, 2004
Visit site
In doing research for my parasite problem awhile ago, I remember reading about one that caused a thickened slime coat resulting in a grayish appearance. Another parasite (or perhaps the same one) started around the dorsal fin giving a saddle-like appearance.

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
In doing research for my parasite problem awhile ago, I remember reading about one that caused a thickened slime coat resulting in a grayish appearance. Another parasite (or perhaps the same one) started around the dorsal fin giving a saddle-like appearance.
Costia (parasite) can give that appearance from what I read, but is fairly rare in tropical aquariums. There may be others that do the same.

The 'saddleback' lesions that I think you are referring to are usually from flexibacter Columnaris which I have dealt with before. This doesn't appear to be the same, although the location is suspicious.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Is it looking any different over the past few days?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store