I have a Red Ear Slider I agreed to take acre of for a bit, but can no longer afford.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Hey guys...

When I moved into my apartment, my sister was moving out.

She had a Red Ear Slider that one of her friends bought when it was like 2 inches from Chinatown in chicago or something a while back...

Well its been like 3 years and he's like prolly around 7-8 inches.

I have him in a 20gal right now with a decor filter and he is getting way to big for his tank.

I can't afford to buy him a 100gal tank as I already have a bearded dragon, an aquarium and a cat to take care of of my own.

But,

I dont want to give hi mto a pet store and just have him go to someone that wont take care of him...

Not really sure what I should do. Is there any economical way to make him a bigger enclosure?

Paccula

AC Members
Dec 14, 2004
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm sure even if the poor creature was upgraded to a 40 it'd be happier than in that 20. In the meantime, just keep that water as clean as you possibly can. Frequent water changes, and carbon.
You could look online yourself for a new home, Craigslist or similar. Better than selling it to a pet store, unless you know the store well.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Go to walmart or wherever and buy 2 of their largest rubbermaid tubs. Stack them and fill them half way. Boom....you got yourself a cheap upgraded tank. I've done it that way many times in the past and it works great.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
I bought a 4ft x 20ish in wide xmas tree storage container from Walmart, $20. It held half water fine, but anymore and it needs support. Idk if they have any more now. Large kiddy pool will work or Lowes biggest 50gal long tub.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
why buy two of them? To make for more water holding strength? what if i only fill one up half way?
Yep, they start to bow the more you fill them up. Stacking two together helps to add strength.

I second the kiddie pool idea too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store