help stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmatthewhill

AC Members
Sep 16, 2009
I have a 72 gallon that I am planning to make an mbuna tank. I already have it up and running and have 12 adult syno petricola and 2 bn pleco. I am wanting to stock it with the following:
10 demasoni
5 yellow lab
5 albino socolofi
5 red zebra

I have two questions. First, does everyone think this is a good number and mix of cichlids? Second, does anyone know where I could purchased these already sexed? If I could get just one or two male demasoni and just one male of the other species with all the rest being female it should save me a lot of headaches in the future with fights I would think. Thanks for any help.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
i would cut the demasonis out and up each fish to 1 male 6 females and leave it at that. demasonis need a group of atleast 12+, which is the reason i got rid of mine in the first place.

jmatthewhill

AC Members
Sep 16, 2009
The demasoni are the main fish I want to build this tank around, so I really am not interested in cutting them out. If I need to up their numbers then I am fine with that but just dont want to cut them out. The demasoni aggression is why I would love to have a large group with only one male.

jmatthewhill

AC Members
Sep 16, 2009
I would consider substituting the demasoni out if there was another nice blue fish that was this striking that both the male and female have the same colors. However, I have yet to find one.

jmatthewhill

AC Members
Sep 16, 2009
All of the others that look anything like the demsoni that I have seen, the females are either a different color or just a drab gray color. I would consider pseudotropheus cyaneorhabdos (Mainganos cichlid) if I could find them readily available. Most I find though are the johanni and again, the female is a different color. I want a lot of this blue/black swimming around in the tank.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If demasoni is what you like as main fish, definitely get at least 12 of them. Sex ratio doesn't matter because females are very aggressive too; just buy 12 juveniles and let them grow together. With a large group as this, their aggressiveness is dispersed among more fishes, reducing the possibility of serious injuries.
Now, with 12 dems, 12 synos and 2 bn plecos, I would just add 6 yellow labs juveniles too. Sex ratio also doesn't matter with them, because labs are "docile" for mbuna standards.
The mix of dems and labs is a favorite one among many hobbyists. This combo in a tank plenty of rockwork, create a wonderful display.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I totally agree with Efors and i understand what Livebearer freak is saying but i would do 20 Demasoni, IME i had 25 of them in a 500gal and i ended up with 15 or 18 really cannot remember, but what i did is purchased 20 smaller juveniles and let them grow up together, i also had several other types on Mbuna in there with them so its hard to say who killed who.. If you want a rocking arse tank i recommend 20 Demasoni and 10 Yellow Labs all small of course but your tank will hold that load.. Plus add a lot of rock to your tank..

As for a place to start is try www.aquabid.com local pet stores sell them but usually at a more expensive price which makes 20 Dem's a small fortune, ask your pet store if they have them on their fish order list sometimes they do but never order them due to demand or what not also you can try the buy and sell thread here on AC.. Good luck..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store