High Fin Spotted Pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
I'm needing to move my high fin spotted pleco from my planted 10gal I've been raising him in, and I'm not sure if he'd be happier in a 55gal Malawi cichlid tank with a common pleco, or if he'd do better in a approx 70gal octagon with goldfish and an albino Bristlenose Pleco. I got him super small and he's needing to move up to one of my bigger tanks. . . those are his two options LOL

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
well i have 3 bristle nose in my 75 african tank and they seem to be doing just fine, so why not the 55 for now?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Goldfish are coldwater. This makes a mismatch for any tropicals. Having another pleco to an existing one is generally not a good idea, especially when you have Mbuna. Plecos are sometimes intolerant of other plecos even if a different species. You have a conundrum on your hands. The best correct answer is that neither option is good. Flip a coin and hope for the best.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
Well, the bristlenose has been with a common pleco before and there were no problems. He seems very docile and doesn't come out often, so maybe they wouldn't butt heads too bad. My goldfish tank runs a bit warmer than most, so I'm not worried too much with the cold water. Maybe I'll try there first and see how he does. In a few months when it warms up, hopefully the goldies will move out to a above ground pond anyway. . . I am having a super bad algae problem though in my 55gal. Is it too horrible to add a second common to that tank to help clean up the mess? I know two wouldn't be ok together once they got huge, but re-homing if necessary wouldn't be too big of a problem later down the road.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Using a lifeform to handle an algae problem does not fix the cause. You will need to address the cause and then you can use something to assist with clean-up. Bad water is bad water. It can compromise the health of any livestock. Algae can be caused by any number of reasons. The most likely are old bulbs, too long of a photoperiod, too high phosphorus/phosphate (from some foods and fertilizers), insufficient water changes.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
I would put him with the goldfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com