Can you overstock Tangs like you can mbunas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Does it work as well to spread aggression or does it just cause mass destruction?

By tangs, I am talking no breeding, and like calvus, comprecciceps, lelupi, brichardis, julies, et. Not the tropheus, shell dwellers, or fronts of the world.

Thanks

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Most Tang Fanatics will tell you No but i will not and i am a Tang Fanatic but what i do believe in is if you have a small tank less than a 55gal i would stick to the less amount of species 75gal or more will be based on your taste.. As for me i have two 120gal Tanganyika community setups with multiple species, yes i do witness aggression but not an all out war.. Its one of those issues on how far you want to take it..

For me i have 8 different species in one 120gal 5' footprint and 6 different species in the other 120gal 4' footprint but i have tons of rocks creating tons of hiding places or retreats..

swarm O gobys

AC Members
May 5, 2011
I would have to say yes that you can i have noticed in my tang tank that with out some of the fish a war will happen and fish will actualy get injered, with the over stocking it gave my dominate fish to much to try and fight off so he just gavr up

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
IMO I would never go as extreme as Mbuna ie. I would never purposely overstock a Tang tank.

It does depend a lot on how you layout the tank and whether any breeding pairs are created...and of course which species you are actually stocking.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
That's where opinions come into play but i respect your opinion, as for me i do overstock and what swarm O gobys said is right on with me.. But i do understand what Pappy is saying and is why i would not overstock a Tang tank that is too small, normally on my smaller Tang Tanks i try to stick with a species only setup, in my bigger setups i have a lot of rock and i strongly urge anyone setting up a Tang or a Malawi setup to utilize a lot of rocks..

swarm O gobys

AC Members
May 5, 2011
yea pit is correct it depends on your rock structures and retreats because a over stocked tank with one rock structure wont work because the fish will all want that one rock structure. but if u have rocks and caves all along the back and sides it creates enough hiding spots for the over stock to work because all the fish can each claim a cave or two or 3. and my opinion bowl rock is my favorite for Tanganyikans fun to see them go in and out of the small holes in the rock and i think foot for foot of rock, bowl rock can provide the most hiding places out of any rocks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store